Fly Tying
Landon P

YouTube Video Ideas

3 minutes ago, flytire said:

im not into watching tying videos in the fast forward mode. others may be fine with it

some of your videos have materials and others dont. go back and add recipes

ditch the flashing colors

spelling errors in the video title

tie flies in a horizontal position not vertical

if you cant tie and talk at the same time, do a voice over but tone down the music

I agree with all of this.

18 minutes ago, flytire said:

im not into watching tying videos in the fast forward mode. others may be fine with it

some of your videos have materials and others dont. go back and add recipes

ditch the flashing colors

spelling errors in the video title

tie flies in a horizontal position not vertical

if you cant tie and talk at the same time, do a voice over but tone down the music

bait/worm hooks?

Yes bait worm hooks are what I use to tie my personal flies so I dont waste all my hooks when someone orders. What do you mean by vertical/horizontal 

Edit, edit, edit! Edit out all the blank/dead moments while you search for your bobbin or other materials. Speed through all the repetitive steps. Have all your materials laid out and ready ahead of time. In my mind, Tim Flagler is the best at making tying videos. Try to emulate him if you can. Here is one of his videos for an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwUWGMuHkWE

I think I've been taking the wrong approach here. I've been trying NOT to be like Tim. I wanted to be more original but that must not be the way to go. 

3 hours ago, Landon P said:

Chugbug I'm confused by this. Can you explain it on a dumbed down way?

Sorry.

My suggestion is to create a series of videos as a companion source for the FAOL beginner SBS fly tying course. For each tying lesson of that course, you would create a corresponding video that fills it out, with video demonstrations of the techniques being taught.

For instance, lesson 15 is the beginning dry fly. The fly they teach first in that lesson is the gray dun. The first step after getting the thread on the hook is

"A slight upward pressure on the tail fibers while tying them down will minimize the tendency for the fibers to turn around the hook."

That sort of step might be hard to see for a beginner, and is where a video of the gray dun being tied could focus a little time to demonstrate what is meant, and show how it looks being done properly and improperly on video.

Just one example.

I will write them up an email and see that is a good idea! Just did a video of starting thread onto a hook now I need a catchy name 

Tim Flagler is one of my favorite YouTube tiers. He is a master fly tier and I like his personality. When I want to learn something I watch his videos. Now the following is going to be blunt but its not meant to offend. I will not go to a YouTube channel to learn from somebody you has only been tying for a short period of time. Again, no offense but before you can become the teacher you must first learn, do and become a subject matter expert in what you want to instruct on. Nothing worse than getting tips from someone who is simply regurgiatating what they learned on somebody else's channel. I don't think your there yet. The good news is, fly tying isn't that difficult and it doesn't take a lifetime to master. It does take some lifetime experiences to bring the learning to life though. 

As for your channel, I like quick videos but I hate super fast high speed videos and elevator music. Your videos can be kept to a minimal time simply through good editing and there's really no need for such high speed fast forwarding. 

One of my favorite YouTube channels is Marling baits. He makes fishing lures and fishes them all in the same day. His videos are on the longer side but I very much enjoy his build process and the fact that the video ends with him out fishing the lure he built in a day. He has a great video personality which makes me laugh. Connecting via personality projected through video is tough and is also a finely tuned craft. Myself, I can't stand to see and hear myself on video which is why I would never do a YouTube video. I think if you want to be a successful YouTuber (what that's worth I'll never know) you will have to craft your own "on air" personality as you also become a subject matter expert. 

Rome wasn't built in a day. 

here is what im gonna do. Instead of using my channel to teach im going to use it to show others my progress, skills, and other things. 

2 minutes ago, Landon P said:

use it to show others my progress, skills, and other things

Most people don't discriminate who they learn from, as long as they're learning something new.  Your idea is good, and teaching those steps will be part of it.  Don't be afraid to explore other aspects of growing up.  People will enjoy progress in any hobby you enjoy.  Even the process of making better videos can be a string of videos.  Don't throw away cut out bloopers.

The reason I suggested it was that as I went through the FAOL lessons myself I searched for and used videos to see the steps. An example is the FAOL step by step on how to use a whip finisher. I read it, tried it, and then looked at a YouTube video to see it. Then I could both understand what I was doing (from FAOL), see how to do it, and copy what I saw. 

I really do think that a tyer with Landon's skill set could pick out those types of elements in the FAOL lesson plan and put together a useful set of connected demonstrations. It would help those doing the FAOL lessons, and it could even offer a place for those doing the lessons to chat about the demo's and the lessons.

It would be a "teacher's assistant" type of thing.

One side benefit to Landon would be to capitalize on the FAOL audience, which already exists, and the benefit to FAOL would eventually be similar, to widen its own audience and increase the benefits of the lesson post.

Ok, now that's 4¢. Done

All good, frank advice above, one of the strengths of this site (with the stress on frank). 

I'm not much of a video watcher but I will watch one on occasion, so take this with a grain of salt. 

I like the steve sparkie's advice of developing a theme, even if its only a half dozen videos on that theme, then you can start a new one.  The theme could even be what chugbug27 suggests.   mikchell's advice is all good, especially on keeping the content fresh, but don't let quantity replace quality.  Also, having a script is a great idea.  Make a video following a script, watch it critically a few times, do it over if needed, or edit it, if possible.  If that still doesn't work, then take Norms' suggestion of doing voice overs.  Cutting out the dead parts is important, I don't need so see someone wrapping the hook with thread for 2 minutes to obtain a taper behind the wrapped lead.   

Above all else, do what you feel comfortable doing and what look good to you, because it will come through in the video.  If you don't feel comfortable talking alot, then you probably shouldn't, so keep it short and sweet.  Ironically enough, I like watching Kelly Galloup's videos because I enjoy his rambling, but I have to be in the mood to watch a 37 minute video to learn the reasoning behind picking material when tying a Gartside Hopper.    

So just filmed a video of doing a Griffiths Gnat which will be the fly of the week next week. Tommorw gonna fish it and bring a gopro 

12 hours ago, mikechell said:

Oh, and type out scripts.  It is MUCH easier to tell a story if you know what you're going to say. 

Yes, We've all sat in a seat in school for x number of years. Surely, we've all seen some good examples. Slides or photos will help to keep things moving. If you did prepare a script, you could probably reduce it to an outline afterwards and be better off for the practice.  I think that most teachers prepare for at least 2 hours to give a one hour lesson. 

I'll listen to almost anyone who has something to say, and I'll move on when I find myself listening to someone who "doesn't have anything to say", or is taking far too long to say what it is they have to say.  I guess you should decide up front whether you are going to be a an educator or an entertainer--in the end I think you need a bit of both, or you better be really good at one or the other.  Mike offered some good ideas about choosing "interesting titles".  I find more and more people "abusing" that mechanism on YouTube..lol.  One guy has created 3 videos about a second "financial stimulus" handout, and generated hundreds of thousands of views in the last 3 days (in reality, the issue only appears to only be "under discussion" by congress). That shows you what people will click on. He fell into my category of someone who had "nothing to say", and stole 30 seconds of my life...  lol   On the other hand, you could try using a title like, "More Financial Stimulus Checks and The Royal Coachman" to generate some views (j/k!)   :)

As far as story telling, look up (the late) Patrick F. McManus a noteworthy fly-fishermens author.  He's one of few authors who have made me laugh out loud, often (he also had a column in Field & Stream magazine).  I'm not sure how much it will help, but I think you'll be glad if you do. It will make you feel better until you can remember where you put your can of snuff!  : ) 

Bill