Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Landon P

Does anyone know what this is?

So went to the shop today and was trying to find that rubber scud back stuff. I think I bought the wrong stuff. This is the stuff I got, it seemed like it was two sheets but the seem like there glued of melted together. It has no branding or info on the package except the price (1.99) and another long number. It also feels like rubber 

20200727_132803.jpg

hi this might help you out get a thick clear polythene bag and cut to size say  no16 hook 1/16"   no 14 hook 1/8"  no 12 hook 1/8"  no10 3/16" these are approximate sizes of strip's of polythene you will to rib these scud flies with 5lb nylon  then choose a perminant marker colour to suit pattern let it dry the coat with salley hansons hard as nail's with nylon this will give your scud backs a pearlesant finish and canges colour as the scud drops through the water coloumn hope this help's and will make you some sucessfull scud's

kind regards Steve

Steve, are the caps, comma and period keys broken on your keyboard/phone?

Man, that's hard to read. I actually had to go through it a few times, trying to figure out where the breaks were.

Not trying to be the grammar police here, but.....

Landon for scud backs you can make your own with poly bags cut into strips (use a razor and straight edge-BUT NOT ON YOUR MOM'S TABLE) if you want to color them use a sharpie on the inside face before you tie it in place. Freezer bags are heavier - thicker. 

Here is the deal. I wanted the scud backs not for scuds but for wing cases. Awhile back I saw a video of a hares ear with s black wing case that I really liked. That's what I wanted it for. 

Landon your a ways from tax numbers and wholesale purchases, try to innovate and use inexpensive material you can duplicate. A lot of famous material was invented by tiers innovation and many went on to sell their materials to us. Wing materials from dumpster packing material blotted colors with a sponge and sold, dubbing from carpets, craft yarns, the list goes on.  

put it back in the bag and return it

look for black "thin skin"

Wapsi_ThinSkin_hi_600x600.jpg

substitute a thin strip of electricians tape

F0494304-01.jpg

20 hours ago, Landon P said:

So went to the shop today and was trying to find that rubber scud back stuff. I think I bought the wrong stuff.

An identical replacement for Hareline Scudback is Sew-Ology Clear Elastic that I bought in the sewing section of Hobby Lobby. See the photo of the package and the material below. This is clear elastic that is in the elastic section of the sewing departments. It is used in swim wear and underwear and is sometimes called clear swim wear or bathing suit elastic. Other companies make a similar material such as the Dritz brand that I bought at Joanne's. The Sew-Ology brand is thinner and better IMHO. I bought both to examine them.

Both brands are 3/8" in width and you get 5 yards of it for about $2-3. It comes in 3/8" width, and that is why Hareline cuts that into a 1/4" and 1/8" to sell it. I plan to cut mine into the same widths using a rotary cutter on a rotary cutting board.

Here are photos of the 1/4" and 1/8" clear Hareline Scudback.

35724586655_da5bc33db2_z.jpg35593320821_82d40da221.jpg

It is identical to Sew-Ology Clear Elastic that I bought in the sewing section of Hobby Lobby. See the photo of the package and the material below. 

Sew-Ology and Dritz brands of clear elastic

34883025784_ee23148cb9_z.jpg

Sew-Ology elastic 3/8" outside the package.

34883025664_0452f4904f_z.jpg

You can color it with a marker to get the shade you want like the olive Hareline version.

35593320931_37608957b2_z.jpg

I think you got a mis-bagged item, Landon.  That looks thick enough to be a piece of rubber work mat.  We use them at work, to protect table tops and allow a "cutting board" surface that doesn't scar easily and is replaceable when it does get worn out.