Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

Why I am so obsessed with dry fly fishing:

Gotta love dry fly fishing!

4 minutes ago, Landon P said:

Your still holding the rod to far up. 

yeah i know. i realized that while editing.

Grayling spawn in the spring. On Google it says they spawn as soon as the water temperature reaches 42 degrees.

I don't think the red color has anything to do with the time of year or spawning. Some have it and some don't. I have heard it said that only European grayling have the red edge on the dorsal fin but I have seen it in all of the grayling waters I have fished in Alaska.

I can understand your fixation on dry flies, when you're connecting with that kind of frequency and that quality of fish. 

I didn't have the sound on today, so if you answered this in the video ....  Is that part of the fly line outer that's hanging off whey you've got the line in?  That would drive me nuts, to have that flipping around like that.   

59 minutes ago, mikechell said:

I can understand your fixation on dry flies, when you're connecting with that kind of frequency and that quality of fish. 

I didn't have the sound on today, so if you answered this in the video ....  Is that part of the fly line outer that's hanging off whey you've got the line in?  That would drive me nuts, to have that flipping around like that.   

I don't understand the question.

First time it "shows up" is at 2:26, when you're landing your first fish.  Then it's in every shot when you've got the leader in the guides, that piece is flopping about like a wet noodle.

Beautiful fishing.  Looks like you have a great place to hone your skills.  

Your story unfortunately is going to be about the once in a life time grayling that got away because your rod broke when you were trying to land it.   Please keep your hand on the rod grip so you will be able to share your trophy grayling with us!

Dude, get a net. Use it. If you're going to release the fish keep it in the water, don't be handling it so much. 

OMG your rod handling skills and fish handling need a lot of improvement

1 hour ago, Sandan said:

Dude, get a net. Use it. If you're going to release the fish keep it in the water, don't be handling it so much. 

+1 get a net. You're tiring and handling those fish way more than is good for them.

1 hour ago, flytire said:

OMG your rod handling skills and fish handling need a lot of improvement

+1!

Yes I've said this a few times and Tier's response was "Grayling aren't like your weak stream fish" or something like that. News flash: Yes, they are like the fish here, no they are not weak but they can't take that abuse and you should take good care of them. That slime? The fish can get an infection if it's scraped off. If you have to touch the fish wet your hand first and for the sake of all that's trouty don't chuck it on the ground! You really need to get better at this. I'm not trying to make you feel like you're a bad person or inferior in any way and neither are the posters before me, we're just giving good advice. You don't have to listen to it in the same way there is nothing forcing you to listen to your parents. It's just a bad idea not to.