Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

Why I am so obsessed with dry fly fishing:

They're correct, TIER, that you need to learn better tactics and handle the fish better.

On the other hand, catching that many fish out of one hole ... I don't think Alaska has a problem with fish populations.

On 7/29/2020 at 11:17 AM, flytire said:

OMG your rod handling skills and fish handling need a lot of improvement

I have thought this particularly about the fish in every video, no respect or caring for its well being, rod handling is sloppy but I couldn't care less its not my rod.

17 hours ago, mikechell said:

On the other hand, catching that many fish out of one hole ... I don't think Alaska has a problem with fish populations.

You are VERY correct there, mike.

And for the group, did you not see how i stuck my hand in the water before grabbing them? yes i didn't do it with the first one, but i did it with the rest of them. yes i held the rod too high, but that rod is not meant for tiny little grayling. It's mean for salmon, so unless i have a world record fish on (23 inches is the record.) those fish can't really do anything. But I am buying a a 4wt soon, so i will be pretty careful with that.

2 hours ago, TIER said:

yes i held the rod too high, but that rod is not meant for tiny little grayling. It's mean for salmon, so unless i have a world record fish on (23 inches is the record.) those fish can't really do anything. But I am buying a a 4wt soon, so i will be pretty careful with that.

The guys are just trying to help you with good solid advice tier. I know being young makes it hard to listen to others with more experience, we were all that way when we were young, but the advice they are giving you is good advice.

A rod is meant to flex over the whole length, so when you grab that 9' rod in the middle such as you are, you are negating half the flex/shock absorption it can handle. So it doesn't matter if it is an 8, 9 or even 10wt, when grabbed in the middle like that a fish as small as 15" can break it if if runs 180 degrees the opposite direction of the rod and creates a severe angle. So the guys are just trying to help you avoid breaking a rod which is a lot easier done when grabbed like that than you think it is. Do with their advice what you will, but you'd be wise to listen to them.

And if you ever do that with a bamboo rod, if it does not break it it will probably put a severe set in in (a curve) and in some cases it can weaken the bamboo or cause some splintering.

It's called muscle memory ... or call it a bad habit.  You do it with every fish on the "big rod" ... you'll do it on the "small rod" when you get it.  It'll just be habit by that time ... and you'll do it without thinking about it.  You'll do it with a big fish on the "big rod", too, and then you'll be looking for a new rod.

21 hours ago, samsonboi said:

And if you ever do that with a bamboo rod, if it does not break it it will probably put a severe set in in (a curve) and in some cases it can weaken the bamboo or cause some splintering.

Interesting. I have restored a bamboo rod that had a set- from leaning up against a wall instead of fighting fish. Easy to fix. I fixed a friends 'boo rod as he has a habit of setting the hook too hard. The tip broke off at the male ferrule. I replaced the ferrules with the male ferrule going up the blank about 5/16 inch.

Hehe, VERY surprised. Although I've never fished grayling, I do fish for trout... and have been chasing a 30"er for a couple months (!) It holds in the same place usually so it is easy to find. I've had it on as it thrashed at the surface, and while I was fishing for it with a 9', 3-5 weight Leonard bamboo rod, it would snap an 8 weight instantly if mishandled the way you do it. So be prepared for that thirty inch grayling or rainbow, and don't mishandle your rod!

3 hours ago, skeet3t said:

Interesting. I have restored a bamboo rod that had a set- from leaning up against a wall instead of fighting fish. Easy to fix. I fixed a friends 'boo rod as he has a habit of setting the hook too hard. The tip broke off at the male ferrule. I replaced the ferrules with the male ferrule going up the blank about 5/16 inch.

Most small sets can be repaired easily, but if mishandled and a very major set put in it, it is almost impossible to straighten without severely compromising the bamboo unless a thermoplastic but very heat resistant glue is used so you can heat and straighten it VERY carefully and slowly.