Fly Tying
Guest kluson

Best thread for splitting

Guest kluson

Hi Guys

I would be interested to know which Thread you consider is the best for splitting in practical terms. I have been using the Petitjean threads and found these great for splitting but a little limited in colour and a little thick compared to the more modern threads out there.

What's your favourite for splitting?

Cheers

D

Hi Dyneema GSP 100 denier any flat rayon thread Semperi thread  Uni thread basically any flat thread untwisted you can counter spin your bobbin to flatten the thread then place a dubbing needle under the thread holding your thread firmly and gently move the side of the dinning needle up and down till the thread flattens and then split the thread with the point of the needle hope this helps.         kind regards Steve 😉

UTC 70 denier (8/0) and whatever the denier is for 6/0, Uni-Thread in 6/ and 8/0, or Danville’s in those sizes- both their flat waxed nylon and mono cord work great. These are my 3 favorite threads for regular work (plus Pearsalls and Belding-Corticelli for soft hackles but of course you can’t split them)

those 3 thread brands are the only regular fly tying threads I ever buy for market price. I’ll get other brands in silk such as Morus which is basically Pearsalls but as for nylon/Kevlar/GSP/etc I’ll stick to those 3 unless I can buy others on a massive discount etc.

as for sizes I rarely use anything over 8/0 in nylon for anything but nymphs (6/0), streamers (3-8/0 depending on size and materials, 3/0 for only hard or difficult materials like squirrel tail), spun deer hair (3/0 or 6/0), and big dries (6/0). 

UTC or Benecchi. Danville 6/0 also works but being waxed is not quite as easy to split. 

UTC and Danville. I'm gonna give the UNI 17/0 a shot on Kimo's recommendo

21 minutes ago, Sandan said:

UTC and Danville. I'm gonna give the UNI 17/0 a shot on Kimo's recommendo

I've been splitting it for years. Use a very sharp bodkin and unwind it a bit before you try to split it.

Kimo

21 hours ago, Kimo said:

I've been splitting it for years. Use a very sharp bodkin and unwind it a bit before you try to split it.

Kimo

Thanks. I usually run my bodkin across the grain of the thread to flatten and "open" the strands up a bit too

I find it's easier to get the thread to flatten if I run a tool with a square edge along it's length, as opposed to something round, like a bodkin.  The edge on my tweezers are perfect.  .  

If you can still find it Benecchi. Really good. 

I've found the veevus stuff isn't too bad and utc at a push. 

On 7/29/2020 at 7:48 PM, niveker said:

I find it's easier to get the thread to flatten if I run a tool with a square edge along it's length, as opposed to something round, like a bodkin.  The edge on my tweezers are perfect.  .  

Or you can spin your bobbin counterclockwise to flatten it.  All synthetic thread will flatten if spinned counterclockwise and cord if spinned clockwise.  However, silk will if flatten or cord if spinned in the opposite direction of synthetic.  Addressing the OP's question, any thread may be split if it is multi-filament and unbonded.  BTW, Danville Flymaster (6/0 or 72 denier) is also produced unwaxed.  J Stockard has it.  

2 minutes ago, DogtaEff said:

Excuse my ignorance but why would you want to split your thread? To make a dubbing or hackle loop?

It's for a dubbing loop. By splitting the thread it reduces the amount of buildup especially on small flies.
It also allows you to mix various materials as well as add different courses of material as in a compound loop.

Kimo