Fly Tying

IMO it would be the Fly Tyers Benchside Reference which is undergoing a re print.  There is a good recent discussion of it under the fly tying bench forum, just scroll down a bit

The Benchside Reference is probably the best for learning technique not necessarily a step by step tying guide and certainly not a fly pattern reference. But if I only could have one book that would be the one. It is expensive but well worth the price. Today you can search online for instruction on step by step or fly pattern reference to tie most patterns. The Benchside Reference can walk you through proven techniques and dressing styles sometimes not covered clearly in the video or other pattern books. Hope that helps. 

There is a 14 page thread just above this one entitled "Best Beginner Fly Tying Book".

@[email protected]

Your Hareline beginner's kit (other posting) comes with a companion book to help you learn 20 patterns to tie with the materials in that kit. It's written by Tracy Peterson, a well regarded tyer. The 20 patterns look like they will teach you a good variety of skills and get you a good set of flies to fish.

https://www.madriveroutfitters.com/p-16139-harelines-beginner-fly-tying-book.aspx

Why not start there? 

I'm lucky enough to have a copy of the aforementioned Benchside Reference, and it is a must have eventually, but I wouldn't recommend it for a starter book. It will likely discourage somebody just starting out since it's geared towards those with at least some experience.  I recommend one specifically geared for beginners that won't go over your head. : https://www.orvis.com/p/the-orvis-guide-to-beginning-fly-tying/8G1T?item_code=8G1T0000&adv=127748&cm_mmc=plas-_-FlyFishing-_-8G1T-_-127748&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgo_5BRDuARIsADDEntTitYSQ_lO4hcGmSASnuMud1RuVD4-HfiQDndT3-lC4wR8X5KZWPkcaAncDEALw_wcB

Best wishes and have fun. Books combined with instructional videos on YouTube can be a great combination for learning. 

-Jamie

17 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Hello, I am looking for a fly tying book, would anyone have a suggestion? Thank you.

Having taken a number of years off from tying due to changes of residence, etc., I bought the Orvis' book ("Fly Tying Guide") to give me a review and expand my horizons.  My used copy was about $12 on amazon. In my opinion, I think you can't go wrong with it.  One way to go "wrong" might be to buy a really old book that had an older perspective on materials or that had only back and white photographs (the sort I learned from).  As a beginner, I remember being irritatingly-confused about the color "dun" and unsure about "badger"...   At the price point above, I would suggest getting 2 books just to increase your chances of being satisfied.  One that corresponds with the flies you intend to fish with would be nice--e.g. if you intend to tie some "bass bugs", they won't be covered in every book.  Good luck!

Bill (Bill_729)

Added: I see Jamieofthenorth (previous post) and I were close to being on the same track at the same time!

1 hour ago, Bill_729 said:

Added: I see Jamieofthenorth (previous post) and I were close to being on the same track at the same time!

Great minds think alike? 🙂

I highly recommend "Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple" by Skip Morris. It has step by step instructions for some good, basic patterns that are easy for beginners to grasp. It teaches basic skills and builds off of them for each fly. I took one fly tying class and used this book when I started tying and I think it did the trick. It looks like you can easily find used copies for cheap on sites like Abebooks.com - https://www.abebooks.com/Fly-Tying-Made-Clear-Simple-Morris/30586457921/bd?cm_mmc=ggl-_-US_Shopp_Trade-_-used-_-naa&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgo_5BRDuARIsADDEntR0BU1JA4_SYs7ji9eAU2VF_ijcsvgQ09Fn9ayKl-q4uBJjhX5Nv_8aAiM7EALw_wcB 

I double flykid's suggestion.  Skip Morris has written several books on tying and all are very clearly written with excellent photos.  Used copies are fairly cheap.

If I was limited to just one book on fly tying it would have to be Helen Shaw's Fly-Tying Materials, Tools, Techniques.  If you are looking for a book full of fly patterns this IS NOT the book for you - it does not contain even one pattern in it!  BUT, if you want to learn how to properly tie with your materials and the different ways and techniques to use with your materials this is THE book for you.  I look at it like one teacher teaching you to play the piano by teaching you to play one song and another teaching you the notes and the nuances of playing those notes before you ever play a song.