Fly Tying
Moshup

Semperfli Nano silk thread opinions ?

Picked up a couple of spools of 18/0. Pretty amazing stuff.  Anyone on the board have an opinion on this thread ?

A friend of mine has several spools and really likes it because of the strength and small diameter.  I believe it comes in 50m spools.  It seems to work just fine for my friend.  

3 hours ago, flytire said:

not at $6 per spool ☹️

i just restocked on veevus threads

The flyfishing "industry" seems determined to make the hobby as expensive as they can make it. I'm going to edit my post and stop here, since this hobby is supposed to be fun (for me).  They can keep their $9 leaders too...lol  Maybe sometime we can start a thread about how to do fishing and tying "on the (relative) cheap".  I find the following "embarrassing". ..

image.png

11 minutes ago, Bill_729 said:

Maybe sometime we can start a thread about how to do fishing and tying "on the (relative) cheap".

i think there are multiple threads on cheap fly tying materials already and no need to start another one

however you're welcome to start a cheap fly fishing thread in the fly fishing category

I haven't tried 18/0 but the 12/0 is really good and exceptionally strong........and really expensive. I bought it to make small hair dries like comparaduns and use it on a limited basis. 

Veevus GSP 50 denier gel spun is a good option as it is very strong and has a small diameter.  I see they also make 30 denier.  I think it only comes in black and white but takes a marker nicely.

When using these threads, make sure to not trap any fibers when threading your bobbin as it is easy to ruin a spool.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I think if one asked me about the thread and cost I’d say give it a try 

and get one spool in white as it takes marking pens quite nicely and use it for your small hairwings.  i think

you’ll be pleased. 

On 7/31/2020 at 6:14 AM, flytire said:

not at $6 per spool ☹️

i just restocked on veevus threads

I like the veevus threads a lot.  I do like to mix it up my thread choices though from time to time. Like the Sheer thread as well.

On 7/31/2020 at 10:43 AM, chugbug27 said:

Haven't tried it but curious

Chugbug I know your fly proclivity and I think you would like it for your small hair bugs !

Hmmm... my wish list grows... moleskin, a nice piece of early season elk, moose hock, a Collins cape (or two), grouse, guinea, Kreinik silk dubbing, a CDL saddle, and now nano silk 18/0 in white...Maybe I'll just start with the nano silk

8 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Hmmm... my wish list grows... moleskin, a nice piece of early season elk, moose hock, a Collins cape (or two), grouse, guinea, Kreinik silk dubbing, a CDL saddle, and now nano silk 18/0 in white...Maybe I'll just start with the nano silk