Fly Tying
Landon P

What are some flies that are appealing

So my aunt and her friend are coming up from Ohio next week and I want to make them some flies. The last two years they have bought me tickets to EAA and i want to re pay them. They dont fish so i want to make them some that are :very pretty" if you have any that are not very difficult to tie please let me know 

23 minutes ago, flytire said:

make them some flies tied on safety pins. they could pin them on a jacket lapel or hat

tie them your newly found expertly tied salmon flies on safety pins

https://images.app.goo.gl/x1SFMvSpypeArpMw6

search online for ideas

be creative

Thank you. Expertly tied 😂😂

Tie some blue stonefly nymphs (hat tip to mikechell), crush the barbs, dull the hook points, you got earrings. Be creative, is the real ticket

19 minutes ago, mikechell said:

As long as you use blue materials, I'm sure they'll love them.

Or at least you will 😂😂😂

Maybe some colorful poppers with a thick, glossy coat of varnish, or a few bucktail streamers with painted eyes. My family always likes seeing these types because they are colorful, clean, large enough to see, and easily recognizable even to non-fishers. My dad especially likes bucktails with a gold body, and a peacock herl (slightly curled) over olive bucktail over white bucktail wing.

In the end it is the thought that counts, I am sure they will appreciate the time and thought you put into whatever you tie for them.

Stinger hooks have very large eyes.  After you've tied a good looking streamer pattern (Big, lots of feathers and colors), cut off the hook bend, leaving just the shank with the fly.  You can then use real earring posts or hooks or loops, attached at the eye so the streamer hangs tail down.

The safety pin idea is a good one. I've made salmon fly boutonnieres for a wedding before and for those I tied the flies on standard salmon hooks and epoxied these https://www.amazon.com/Beadaholique-24-Piece-Back-4-Inch-Silver/dp/B00AE253A6 to the back of the fly. That way you don't have to tie around the pin pointing out. If you go that route, pick a fly you can tie well that'll be relatively durable as a pin, maybe a featherwing streamer, or bucktail or something. With those you can easily customize them and pick whatever colors they might like. Or, since they don't fish but can still appreciate the craft, you could always tie some nice fishing flies and pop them in a frame. I've done that for people several times and they kinda have no choice but to appreciate it.

7 hours ago, flykid said:

they kinda have no choice but to appreciate it.

This.  No matter what you end up producing, I am sure they'll like it.  Or, at least, they'll say they do.