Fly Tying
flytire

August Flies From the Vise

2 hours ago, Pbass said:

I got this idea from the mylar prince nymph by clark. Instead of mylar with a coper wire around it I tried coper john style. Just for practice more than anything else. Its hard to keep those coper coils touching. I also lost the body taper between breaking the thread and wire... Practice, practice, practice.

DSC_0110.jpeg

that'll catch a trout.

Just ordered a baitfish box from fly tyers dungeon to start tying some saltwater baitfish patterns.  I’m no where near the skill level of the tyers on this forum but I thought I’d post something.

09C832C1-DF7F-4484-A9EE-8B7007EEF959.jpeg

21 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Great stuff this month from everybody, truly inspirational.

I decided to try out a flymph... It was fun, but let's just say, it's not as easy as it looks. (Hats off, @Old Hat.) I'm going to put them on hold while I fill out my box, and get back to learning them properly in a little bit.

BWO Emerger Flymph

Hook: Mustad 94843 #12 (4xs, 3xf)

Thread: Pearsall's Gossamer, amber

Hackle: Whiting hen hackle cape, barred dun

Rib: Small gold UTC wire

Tail / Shuck: Whiting Brahma hen saddle fibers, mottled grey, "wild"

Body: Dubbing loop of Australian possum underfur hand-dyed "bwo olive," mixed with bits of shiny yellow dubbing strands.

(and tying wax)

Materials:

735124257_BWOFlymphMaterialsReducedSize.thumb.jpg.cb296513fab95c11f40a94dfab0e67a0.jpg

First attempt:

1404828349_BWOFlymphFirstAttemptIck.thumb.jpg.c26715cbddd3dbcdaf399d8604c17815.jpg

Second attempt:

1728671452_BWOFlymphAttempt2v2.thumb.jpg.949993472f5183906cae4fa148ae0558.jpg

That is a great first go at it.  Try some longer shank hooks next go 'round.  A 1x long is appropriate and was often used.  

26 minutes ago, Old Hat said:

Try some longer shank hooks next go 'round.  A 1x long is appropriate and was often used.

check. Next time I'll break out the 3906Bs.

Griffiths Gnat Emergers

Daiichi 1130 16 and 18

Black and Light olive, Black ostrich, Peacock, Brown shuck yarn.

I think I am getting a little better at this, the white foam board on the desk does help me see better, tied up 4 of these this morning.

Griffiths Gnat Emergers.jpg

4 hours ago, xterrabill said:

Griffiths Gnat Emergers

Daiichi 1130 16 and 18

Black and Light olive, Black ostrich, Peacock, Brown shuck yarn.

I think I am getting a little better at this, the white foam board on the desk does help me see better, tied up 4 of these this morning.

Griffiths Gnat Emergers.jpg

Nice work! I have a super hard time with that small stuff.  I might have to try that white foam board thing.

On 8/13/2020 at 12:27 PM, Pbass said:

I got this idea from the mylar prince nymph by clark. Instead of mylar with a coper wire around it I tried coper john style. Just for practice more than anything else. Its hard to keep those coper coils touching. I also lost the body taper between breaking the thread and wire... Practice, practice, practice.

DSC_0110.jpeg

Nice fly, essentially a Hot Wire Prince.

A couple of tips on the wire body: Make sure the under-body is completely smooth. Any lumps or bumps will make it hard to keep the wire wraps together. Angle the wire back at a slight angle as you wrap, forcing the wraps together.

41 minutes ago, Jaydub said:

Nice fly, essentially a Hot Wire Prince.

A couple of tips on the wire body: Make sure the under-body is completely smooth. Any lumps or bumps will make it hard to keep the wire wraps together. Angle the wire back at a slight angle as you wrap, forcing the wraps together.

Thank you! I will try to do just as you suggest. Thanks for the pointers.  I appreciate your help!

Cleaning out an old flybox tonight I found this old night epoxy pattern of Glen Mikkelson’s (L.I. NY) Glen tied some great innovative patterns using epoxy early on and never got the credit he deserved. I tied this fly up probably over 20 years ago and look at that the shape of that epoxy. Not bad eh ?

1BC6C2F2-44D4-4989-B778-71477B65DDF1.jpeg