Fly Tying
flytire

August Flies From the Vise

Ok let me know if you change your mind I got a few hundred along with a bunch of other materials for like 30$ a couple years ago.

2 hours ago, Landon P said:

Saw something like this on Flyflasher and wanted to try it out. Not great but not terrible 🤷‍♂️

20200823_164439-01.jpeg

Nice Landon.

3 hours ago, Landon P said:

Saw something like this on Flyflasher and wanted to try it out. Not great but not terrible 🤷‍♂️

20200823_164439-01.jpeg

Nice!

Another Yuk Bug. I have been tying this fly over and over trying to get it just right. It has been a favorite to fish with for 20 years. Big trout up here like this thing! It does not seem to be really popular on line. 

DSC_0002.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Pbass said:

Another Yuk Bug. I have been tying this fly over and over trying to get it just right. It has been a favorite to fish with for 20 years. Big trout up here like this thing! It does not seem to be really popular on line. 

DSC_0002.jpeg

Yuk!

Hecuba Quigley Cripple

50261387886_30dd496f86_c.jpg

50260729048_2f3b5aed2d_c.jpg

50260728983_3b3a28cbf6_c.jpg

Getting to be time for Fall Drakes.  Attempting to approximate the body color of Chuck Stranahan’s Brindle Chute using a few strands of polypropylene yarn instead dubbing; not sure this is the final blend but worth a try.

hook - Dai Riki 320 #12
thread - Veevus 8/0 tan
shuck - Congo Hair brown
body - Congo Hair rust, olive, gold (2 strands each)
wing - deer hair dyed golden olive (4 Tsp Rit Golden Yellow, 1/2 Tsp Rit Camel/4 cups water)
hackle - ginger/brown

Regards,
Scott

Carmichael-Indispensable-1080.jpg

Carmichael Indespensable

Originated By - Bob Carmichael [1940s]

Hook - Mustad R50X-94845, #12-26

Thread - Black

Tail - Moose body hair

Abdomen - Yellow thread, floss, uni stretch etc

Thorax - Pink dubbing

Wings - Grizzly hen hackle tips

Hackle - Grizzly

I have been working on wet flies from Bergman's book and in the process a couple of things stand out. First, is the size of the wet flies. In doing research on them, most of the flies I have seen on the internet are tied in size 8 (mostly) or size six, although they can be tied down to size 12. For some reason, this surprised me. Second, most recipes just say "hackle" without specifying type. I assume, since they are wet flies, that I should use some sort of soft hackle but finding any kind of hackle in the correct colors has been hard. I did find some stuff on Bears Den called Salmon Hen Neck that looks like it might work but it only comes in a few colors. Any advice would be appreciated. Third, tying these type of flies requires a lot of care and precision and is improving my fly tying. As Davie McPhail says "take your time" and "if you don't like it you can always go back." Anyway, this is a size 10 Babcock.

254533260_Babcock1.thumb.jpg.92a4fd6c1a16735a20476f23a94bd674.jpg

1 hour ago, TSMcDougald said:

Any advice would be appreciated. 

i will suggest hebert miner line of hen capes and/or saddles for wet flies. pay the money for quality hackle

not many different colors are really needed. black, brown, dun, grizzly

W-HMHC-2.jpg?v-cache=1594396337

i would not use salmon hen necks from bears den or anywhere else. they are not for small wey flies.

i have some and they are barely usable for the salmon/steelhead flies i tie

also check out don bastians tying of babcock. your wing looks too wide. in my class with don bastian he advised the width of the wing is about 2/3 the gape of the hook and should sit on top of the hook shank. we also tied the wet flies in a size 8-10 in his class but they can be tied as small as you want to tie them

12-Babcock-550x412.jpg

Tried something new here. When tying this trico I coated my thread in Payette paste when tying in the wings tail and making the body. Since it is absorbed into the thread it should float better. 

20200823_103217-01.jpeg

15 minutes ago, flytire said:

i will suggest hebert miner line of hen capes and/or saddles for wet flies. pay the money for quality hackle

not many different colors are really needed. black, brown, dun, grizzly

W-HMHC-2.jpg?v-cache=1594396337

i would not use salmon hen necks from bears den or anywhere else. they are not for small wey flies.

i have some and they are barely usable for the salmon/steelhead flies i tie

also check out don bastians tying of babcock. your wing looks too wide. in my class with don bastian he advised the width of the wing is about 2/3 the gape of the hook and should sit on top of the hook shank. we also tied the wet flies in a size 8-10 in his class but they can be tied as small as you want to tie them

12-Babcock-550x412.jpg

Thanks for the info!