Hook - Mustad R73-9671, size 8

Bead - Gold

Thread - Black

Tag - Red uni stretch

Tail - Black squirrel tail

Ribbing - Oval gold tinsel

Body - Olive chenille 

Wings - Olive marabou

When viewed from a fishy perspective it seems to imitate scuds (freshwater shrimp), damsels, stick caddis etc.

The Tom Jones must be a Welsh fly – right?  Wrong! It is as Aussie as Fosters and it has a very long history in its native Australia.  It was developed in 1971/1972 by a English ex-pat called John Lanchester who was a member of the Southern Fly Fishers.

Muddled Golden Olive Bumble Snatcher

50281817998_c95c4aef2d_c.jpg

50282497961_2ae2ff6a5b_c.jpg

50282497886_b15b0c0824_c.jpg

Evaluating the difference between spun and cut (used here) vs. cut and spun heads/collars (see the Cullinanes Snatcher). Think I prefer the later; less trimming needed if you can get the hair tie-in close enough to the eye without burying it. Biots don’t match the tag, but the white ones just disappeared in the hackle and, really, does it make a difference?

hook - WFC Model 11 #10
thread - UTC 140 black
tag - Depth Ray hot orange
rib - small wire gold
body - dubbing golden olive
body hackle - ginger
cheeks - biots fluoro orange
collar/head - deer hair dyed Silver Doctor blue (2 packs Koolaid Ice Blue Raspberry/ 1 cup water)

Regards,
Scott

20 minutes ago, SBPatt said:

does it make a difference?

I would never fish with a size 14 or smaller hook.  All I'd catch would be 2" fish.  But since trout will take flies that small, then I'd say they can tell the difference.

Does the difference matter?  Not in my world, but maybe in theirs?

6 minutes ago, mikechell said:

It was a rhetorical question; the cutts around here would rise to pocket lint.

Regards,
Scott

It was a satirical answer.  I get kick out of people who swear by the intelligence/difficulty of catching trout without tiny flies and spider web tippets ... then turn around and say the details of a fly don't matter.

Either they CAN see those tiny details, or they can't.  And if they can't, then the tiny flies and tippets aren't really necessary either.

I'm not denigrating anyone ... you are catching fish with your methods and more power to you.  Just voicing my opinions.

Mike,

I ran into a pod of rising fish on the Henry’s Fork that refused everything I threw at them; determined they were on to midges, took the smallest fly I had (a #22), trimmed off most of the  hackle and after 3 refusals hooked a 4” rainbow. To them, it did make a difference, which is probably why I avoid the HF; I’m much more in tune with the dumb fish.

Regards,
Scott

My groove was interrupted last night while tying up a batch of size 20 Olive Biot Duns when my beagle mix decided he wanted to be on my lap and pinned down my right arm. 

20200829_174158.thumb.jpg.1673662126bbe3c8787fc81bb7ac1b59.jpg

20200829_181141.thumb.jpg.7e339dbd1e3906e1f58c8648edcd6d4c.jpg

10 minutes ago, jamieofthenorth said:

beagle mix decided he wanted to be on my lap

There's no reason to have a four-legged child if you're not willing to spoil it rotten.

5 hours ago, mikechell said:

There's no reason to have a four-legged child if you're not willing to spoil it rotten.

He's spoiled alright, that's for sure! 😁

On 8/29/2020 at 1:00 PM, mikechell said:

I would never fish with a size 14 or smaller hook.  All I'd catch would be 2" fish.  But since trout will take flies that small, then I'd say they can tell the difference.

I don't know Mike, I've caught some decent shad, specks and sunfish on #14's around C.S. Lee and the Econ on the St. Johns.  Maybe you are  missing out. ;)