Jump to content
Fly Tying
flytire

August Flies From the Vise

Recommended Posts

Two of my favorite caddis patterns. Both size 16.

Clown shoe caddis and a wally wing caddis pupa. The clown shoe tied as a yellow Sally can be pretty effective too

PHOTO_20200810_120831.jpg

PHOTO_20200810_120855.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, back in the saddle, size 20's are working for me finally... And last of the parachutes for a while... And thank you @flytire (again) for the peacock, at first I thought they didn't have enough definition, but now I'm liking them more than the more well defined commercial quills.

Here's one from behind:

1538391256_BWOParachute20hacklestem1behind.thumb.jpg.845824fba7992de834b751cf40c1d302.jpg

Here's another from behind and also from the side:

486870447_BWOParachute20hacklestem3behind.thumb.jpg.d83b0bf0fe679710dd15bc64d91ce418.jpg

1639916256_BWOParachute20hacklestem3side.thumb.jpg.d5a5f1ce46f92d2bd2b406338b277e94.jpg

Another, this time from the top:

10449201_BWOParachute20hacklestem2top.thumb.jpg.eaf55d20c4012260b32a518ba97d683e.jpg

And here's one with a stripped quill, three views:

1581384012_BWOParachute20quill2side.thumb.jpg.3d86a2e1ad2f909d471d5431c4fe8fad.jpg

433669354_BWOParachute20quill2top.thumb.jpg.f42620442b21a375a36559565cb5b7d3.jpg

1030262763_BWOParachute20quill2bottom.thumb.jpg.16da1329a92117f6d1e5ce5ec539abd2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Landon P A little constructive criticism- use a lighter background for dark toned flies. White is usually a good bet for dark flies but not so much for light ones. I like chartreuse or a medium tan.

 

your tying is getting better!

 

here are some I tied today, the Uni-Cord I just got is great for deer hair spinning!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, samsonboi said:

@Landon P A little constructive criticism- use a lighter background for dark toned flies. White is usually a good bet for dark flies but not so much for light ones. I like chartreuse or a medium tan.

 

 

For the Pt and the prince? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, samsonboi said:

@Landon P A little constructive criticism- use a lighter background for dark toned flies. White is usually a good bet for dark flies but not so much for light ones. I like chartreuse or a medium tan.

 

your tying is getting better!

 

here are some I tied today, the Uni-Cord I just got is great for deer hair spinning!

 

 

His photos are way better than yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@vicentedo you like these better?

80AFA334-C18E-4667-859D-F98AD21F8B64.jpeg.71242041ff54651ac4991115ab19a035.jpeg9FE906C8-38D2-4432-9CCD-02A3FF6EAF9F.jpeg.c42dcfdf9eb3557b91c99dc95c368e01.jpeg
An Au Sable Wulff

34A96815-28A3-4EE0-82D8-BEC9DDD872C5.jpeg.864dc58d961f109b5c36e2b8b3986187.jpeg
A Goddard Caddis

B6C04D6F-C50A-493B-BF12-19443389E7FA.jpeg.8c20b4e33ca435a26faa4f4ce8dfffa9.jpeg
 

an Adams 

CE3286FD-EB08-4687-952F-3147D72916B4.jpeg.d7c486748d76d419c150046896006da5.jpeg
Another G. C.

47A70081-4D4D-4E39-AE8C-E121370244FF.jpeg.2d6af22f2a5d82fdac34a7f8e58d4532.jpeg

AuSable Caddis variation 

 

and below is an old dry fly pattern, the Au Sable B as listed in The Fisherman’s Handbook of Trout Flies by Donald Du Bois

the wings are black and white tipped wood duck and the body is floss. It needs some perfecting but this one isn’t terrible. I should have only used 1 strand of floss. The white puff is just some stray deer hair static clinging to the hook bend.

E3CA5CCB-788C-4542-B07C-A589D2537EB1.jpeg.16da47d8a220ffd68f342dc38a63c03d.jpeg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, samsonboi said:

Indeed V. but keep in mind I am taking them on an outdated iPhone 5.

I'm taking mine on a Samsung s6 🤷‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, samsonboi said:

@Landon P A little constructive criticism- use a lighter background for dark toned flies. White is usually a good bet for dark flies but not so much for light ones. I like chartreuse or a medium tan.

 

your tying is getting better!

 

here are some I tied today, the Uni-Cord I just got is great for deer hair spinning!

 

 

Thank you though for the constructive criticism 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, samsonboi said:

@vicentedo you like these better?

80AFA334-C18E-4667-859D-F98AD21F8B64.jpeg.71242041ff54651ac4991115ab19a035.jpeg9FE906C8-38D2-4432-9CCD-02A3FF6EAF9F.jpeg.c42dcfdf9eb3557b91c99dc95c368e01.jpeg
An Au Sable Wulff

34A96815-28A3-4EE0-82D8-BEC9DDD872C5.jpeg.864dc58d961f109b5c36e2b8b3986187.jpeg
A Goddard Caddis

B6C04D6F-C50A-493B-BF12-19443389E7FA.jpeg.8c20b4e33ca435a26faa4f4ce8dfffa9.jpeg
 

an Adams 

CE3286FD-EB08-4687-952F-3147D72916B4.jpeg.d7c486748d76d419c150046896006da5.jpeg
Another G. C.

47A70081-4D4D-4E39-AE8C-E121370244FF.jpeg.2d6af22f2a5d82fdac34a7f8e58d4532.jpeg

AuSable Caddis variation 

 

and below is an old dry fly pattern, the Au Sable B as listed in The Fisherman’s Handbook of Trout Flies by Donald Du Bois

the wings are black and white tipped wood duck and the body is floss. It needs some perfecting but this one isn’t terrible. I should have only used 1 strand of floss. The white puff is just some stray deer hair static clinging to the hook bend.

E3CA5CCB-788C-4542-B07C-A589D2537EB1.jpeg.16da47d8a220ffd68f342dc38a63c03d.jpeg

 

They could use a little editing. Try using snapseed. It is easy to learn to start and once you get the hang of that try adobe light room. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, vicente said:

His photos are way better than yours.

😀 !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...