Fly Tying
flytire

August Flies From the Vise

Today’s piggyback in a water glass. Should have used a slightly bigger deer hair ball but it floats alright in pools and flats, not so much riffles tho.1327482C-AA9E-46C4-9A96-D041A1B82A7B.thumb.jpeg.aa14d8aca88819f47385695163f726b1.jpeg

3 hours ago, samsonboi said:

Yes please, fire away!

First, don't offer criticism of any kind unless it's asked for, some folks don't appreciate it.

Second, on your Goddard's pack the spun hair more densely/tighter.  They'll float better and it's easier to trim. Do you trim with a razor blade?

Peacock quill, Turkey wing for the wings.  Pretty little fly.  I’m still learning this technique though. The turkey wing still splits on me and ends up making multiple wings 

519E1E4B-4FCA-4706-BE29-EC9916A5D612.jpeg

18 minutes ago, McFlyLures said:

Peacock quill, Turkey wing for the wings.  Pretty little fly.  I’m still learning this technique though. The turkey wing still splits on me and ends up making multiple wings 

519E1E4B-4FCA-4706-BE29-EC9916A5D612.jpeg

Very pretty. I had the same problem, and I finally switched to a different feather. It made all the difference in the world. It was still a turkey feather, but a softer one. And of course, some kind of fixative on there helps like head cement or hair spray (before you cut and tie it).

39 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

Very pretty. I had the same problem, and I finally switched to a different feather. It made all the difference in the world. It was still a turkey feather, but a softer one. And of course, some kind of fixative on there helps like head cement or hair spray (before you cut and tie it).

Thank you!   I’ll try some hair spray.  How would you apply the head cement on the entire feather before cutting?  

also did you change to the same type of turkey feather, just a different one that kept together better?  Or was it a feather from a different part of the bird?  

25 minutes ago, McFlyLures said:

Thank you!   I’ll try some hair spray.  How would you apply the head cement on the entire feather before cutting?  

also did you change to the same type of turkey feather, just a different one that kept together better?  Or was it a feather from a different part of the bird?  

I use a dubbing needle to spread the head cement like a butter knife.

I use a secondary turkey wing feather. I think they call it a shoulder feather.

Better shot of this fly.   I tied it again and like the way this one came out better.  Thanks for the help guys.  

77A90D4E-F958-4B5F-8930-92CBF116BD8D.jpeg
46A759CC-D132-4D5A-B96F-53E32E2FC3CE.thumb.jpeg.480b8187ecac0ba3ee1b8610fca6552b.jpeg

4 hours ago, samsonboi said:

Today’s piggyback in a water glass. Should have used a slightly bigger deer hair ball but it floats alright in pools and flats, not so much riffles tho.1327482C-AA9E-46C4-9A96-D041A1B82A7B.thumb.jpeg.aa14d8aca88819f47385695163f726b1.jpeg

It's interesting that your nymph is hanging up-side-down. Maybe it's just not waterlogged yet.

8 minutes ago, McFlyLures said:

Better shot of this fly.   I tied it again and like the way this one came out better.  Thanks for the help guys.  

Great looking fly! Nice work, McFlyLures. 

1 hour ago, Mark Knapp said:

It's interesting that your nymph is hanging up-side-down. Maybe it's just not waterlogged yet.

It’s hanging right side up. It’s not a jig hook. The bead is just sitting the front of the hook lower. Follow the thread to the fly; I tied it in on the top of the fly. If I’d have tied it in on the bottom of the hook as oriented hook point down, it would float hook point up. The bead will equalize a bit when tied to a leader as there’ll be a tiny bit of tension on the eye.

3 hours ago, jamieofthenorth said:

Great looking fly! Nice work, McFlyLures. 

Thank you!  I still have some work to do to perfect it but I’m happy so far.