Fly Tying
flytire

August Flies From the Vise

Catskill classic tied with Collins Dark Smokey Hackle sz 14

A83E26E6-6291-4C1A-9472-B4D8B1F8616E.jpeg

New guy here.  I've been targeting spotted bass in small streams quite a bit lately and decided to try tying a Longear Sunfish patterned Lunch Money to match the hatch.  Planning to test it out sometime in the next few days.

Chris

50231368062_999d6e41a3_z.jpg

Welcome to the site, Chris. Your streamer looks awesome.  If a bass sees it, you're in for a hard hit! 

GFA-General-Foam-Attractor-Hopper-1080.j

GFA (General Foam Attractor) Hopper

Hook - Curved dry fly style

Thread - Tan

Underbody - Peacock herl

Body - 2mm foam - tan - shaped with cutter or scissors

Wing - Bleached elk hair

Indicator Strip - 2mm foam - pink

Legs - Medium round rubber legs - knotted if you prefer

Tie this in different colors - Olive, brown, black, green etc

Indicator strip can be pink, orange, white, yellow chartreuse etc

12 hours ago, Mogup said:

Catskill classic tied with Collins Dark Smokey Hackle sz 14

Really nice! Not that I didn't appreciate any of the Catskill-style flies before, but a lot of recent reading on their history has greatly increased my interest. Great job. 

Went out west fishing hoppers last week, and had a lot of fun. Now that I am back home and replenishing my boxes, I am using bigger hooks this time in hopes of improving my hook-up rate. I could not get my hookset reflexes quite right, although the fish may have been giving me a last second refusal my offerings! I caught fish, but I missed a lot! Anyway, I was mostly using Tomsu hoppers, but I used some Moorish hoppers too- probably did not make a difference to the cutthroat...

Refilling the spaces in the box for the Moorish hoppers lost in trees and bushes. Also tied some with foam rear legs:

IMG_1570.JPG

IMG_1572.JPG

I've never really tied midges before. But after my trip this last weekend where I had so many fish pass up my offerings while my friend raked them in, I'm gonna stock up, hahaha

20200816_115244.jpg

17 hours ago, Chris_in_Louisiana said:

New guy here.  I've been targeting spotted bass in small streams quite a bit lately and decided to try tying a Longear Sunfish patterned Lunch Money to match the hatch.  Planning to test it out sometime in the next few days.

Chris

50231368062_999d6e41a3_z.jpg

Very nice. A large jungle cock "ear" strategically placed probably wouldn't have made this fly more effective but it might have given it just a little bit of visual kick to other tiers. Nice job, I bet it'll drive bass crazy.

contemporary version of an early 1930's classic which is still one of the best all-round attractor bucktails for freshwater-  Edson Light Tiger, in sizes from 10 to 4.   I've been tying these for years,  dumbell eyes in the "Clouser" deep minnow style are far and away nicer to use than the original Edson Eyes, which were tiny brass spoons with sharp edges.   I've got loads of them if anyone is ever interested in tying some of the originals.    The correct dressing is with a barred wood duck flank feather for a tail, but I ran out, so some have Golden Pheasant tippet as a substitute.   I don't remember a time it ever made a difference.    Pearl Core Braid in Black, with with core removed, is subbed for a peacock herl rope-  again much less work and possibly just as effective as the original.    Good friend who recently started fly fishing just broke off a huge smallmouth on one I gave him,  and threw several others into trees.... so tying more. 

145053.jpg

145220.jpg

Dark Edson Tigers,  maybe my favorite all time bucktail (?)   The original called for a yellow chenille body (as on the ones in the back) but I sort of arrived at a tapered, thin floss body.   Personal preference, I just like the way it looks and it is equally effective. 

153738.jpg

these have been absolutely killer in clear water creeks nearby this summer.    The brown ones above all others.   I originally tied this about 15 years ago as a bluegill fly for some lakes and ponds down in Florida.   This summer I found one in a fly box and instantly was catching redbreast sunfish,  smallmouth bass, fallfish, green sunfish, largemouth bass, anything and everything.   Must suggest a small crayfish which these creeks are full of.   I've caught a few on white, a few on olive, but have just been hammering fish on the brown ones. 

Hook:  size 10 to 6, 3xl-4xl streamer hook
Eyes: Brass or Lead dumbell eyes, not too heavy
Tail: 8 strands of fine cut silicone skirt material, only as long as the body
Body: Spanflex
Flash: 6 strands of Krystal Flash
Wing: Coarse craft-fur with all the underfur combed out and the ends fairly even

171926.jpg

On 8/13/2020 at 9:14 AM, flytire said:

DPCv9MN.jpg

Woodchuck Wing Streamer/Nymph

Hook - Streamer/nymph style
Thread - Black
Tail - Teal feather fibers
Ribbing - Oval gold tinsel
Body - Bill's body braid - silver
Throat - Red guinea fibers
Wing - Woodchuck

Streamer - Larger sizes