Fly Tying
flytire

August Flies From the Vise

2 hours ago, Bazzer69 said:

Very nice, what is the wing? It’s obviously married.  
Get that knee healed I have plantar fasciitis so I know how it feels to be only able to hobble around. 
Barry

It is duck.

21 minutes ago, jamieofthenorth said:

October Caddis, size 10. Bring on autumn!

20200823_123836.thumb.jpg.858bbc9c492fa5d3a7264b248a24ed25.jpg

+1

After complaining about them I found three large  double barrel popper bodies in with the rest of my foam bodies.  Main complaint about them is the hole for the hook doesn't go all the way through the body.  It's sort of hit and miss whether the exit hole in the front is centered.  It's harder to blend the colors I like to use.  Something to do with the texture of the skin.  I also found around a dozen smaller ones, pan fish size.  As my friend says "It's something to do."

P8200751.JPG

P8200752.JPG

P8200753.JPG

P8200754.JPG

Saw something like this on Flyflasher and wanted to try it out. Not great but not terrible 🤷‍♂️

20200823_164439-01.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Landon P said:

Saw something like this on Flyflasher and wanted to try it out. Not great but not terrible 🤷‍♂️

Not terrible. About the only thing that jumps out at me is that, that is not normally the hook you would tie a steelhead/salmon fly on. But hey, I went down to the store yesterday to get regular old standard dry fly hooks in 12 and 14 but they must have had a run on them and I'm tying flies on 1X and eye-up hooks. Sometimes ya gotta make do.

Philly, never used that hole.  The center is too far up in for my liking. I want hook damn near tangent to the bottom.   Makes for better casting.   It doesn’t dig down when trying to pick it up outa the water.   May just be me.  I take big bodkin thingy and make new hook hole at bottom.  Then pretty much stick the eye of the hook thru and glue.  DoubleBarrels are pretty soft foam...

9C71FAC3-6EAD-4B81-8464-BBF3C43E20FA.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

Not terrible. About the only thing that jumps out at me is that, that is not normally the hook you would tie a steelhead/salmon fly on. But hey, I went down to the store yesterday to get regular old standard dry fly hooks in 12 and 14 but they must have had a run on them and I'm tying flies on 1X and eye-up hooks. Sometimes ya gotta make do.

The pic I followed didn't use a hook with an inverted eye. Thought it would be something to try. Might do it with a inverted eye and see how it looks!

1 hour ago, Landon P said:

The pic I followed didn't use a hook with an inverted eye. Thought it would be something to try. Might do it with a inverted eye and see how it looks!

Not really what I was talking about but that's OK.

I'm trying not to be too critical because I think you did a good job but that looks like a bait hook. For some people, it would be sacrilege to tie a salmon or steelhead fly on that hook.

When I was first starting I would tie on any hook I could find.

Landon I have an extra pack of salmon hooks in green of you'd like them for tying salmon and spey flys, I just use them for tying buggers.

1 hour ago, jamieofthenorth said:

I bet the movement on that is quite awesome. Nice one. 

Mahalo!

Kimo

52 minutes ago, vicente said:

Landon I have an extra pack of salmon hooks in green of you'd like them for tying salmon and spey flys, I just use them for tying buggers.

I got some from the shop when we ran yesterday but im saving them since only 10 came in the pack, but thank u for the offer!