Fly Tying

On 8/1/2020 at 5:08 PM, Mark Knapp said:

I always motor down when passing someone else in my boat.

I agree with everything said....   but PLEASE if you come off plane you need to know if you are creating an even bigger wake than if you just kept going.    Having basically grown up in canoes and being an avid kayak angler, I deal with it all the time.   Folks who think they're being nice actually cause a bigger wake and make the experience last longer.   I'll say from experience it beats the hell out of getting run over by an a$$hole who shouldn't be on the water in the first place, but, you get what I'm saying.  

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

respect for the fish, absolutely 100%, but there are people who take it too far.   even the holy trout get dumped from airplanes and shot through pipes after being trucked hundreds of miles.   If someone truly had total respect for the fish,  they wouldn't fish...  Yes care and respect are vitally important, but correctly holding a fish out of water for a few seconds for a photo before release is not cause for banishment. 

On 8/8/2020 at 9:57 AM, WJG said:

My question is why do you need a photo of every fish?  These memories do also exist without a digital version.   

I certainly don't photograph every fish... but the memories get lost and twisted and changed.  I would give almost anything for some photographs of certain fish and times that my Dad and I shared so long ago.   We didn't have the convenience of digitally preserving the moments like we do now.    I don't know, but I would wager you will feel the same as you grow older. 

On 8/3/2020 at 3:51 PM, cphubert said:

continue to kill fish (less now than my youth). White & yellow perch, hornpout, trout, salters, strippers,

Please don't kill strippers.   You'll end up on the evening news.    They're just trying to make a living.

He is pretty much right on about most things however he left out my biggest pet peave, swilling beer while boating and/or on public land. I wonder why? Perhaps he only matters to himself? I find it comical that he expects a private beach on public land and goes so far as to demand his permission for access to "his" beach. I know there's not a lot of public owned beaches out there large enough to beach a boat and this guy seems to feel entitled enough where he will plant his flag and defend it as his. Can't we all just get along and share these great resources? I  Guess I'm the problem though, might as well have another beer. 

11 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

He is pretty much right on about most things however he left out my biggest pet peave, swilling beer while boating and/or on public land. I wonder why? Perhaps he only matters to himself? I find it comical that he expects a private beach on public land and goes so far as to demand his permission for access to "his" beach. I know there's not a lot of public owned beaches out there large enough to beach a boat and this guy seems to feel entitled enough where he will plant his flag and defend it as his. Can't we all just get along and share these great resources? I  Guess I'm the problem though, might as well have another beer. 

Did you miss the first 30 seconds, or are you being more sarcastic than I usually am?  :D :D :D   I get a laugh from most of his videos,  seems like someone even I, the guy who doesn't like anyone, could go fishing with.   the beer thing is just his gimmick.  The "beach" thing-  I'm 100% with him.   A moment of consideration goes a LONG way.   Had this happen to me again just two weekends ago.   I had waded up (not floating, but the same concept) a long way on a local creek, just trying to enjoy some peace and quiet and got to a nice small gravel bar,  not 10 seconds later,  around the bend comes 3 overloaded canoes full of dogs, yelling kids, two radios loudly tuned to DIFFERENT stations, and alleged adults.  Guess what happenend.  Literally at my feet, they pull up and unass the boats, one teenage girl immediately takes a filthy diaper off a three year old while trying not to burn the kid with her cigarette, and chucks it into the woods and washes the kid off in the creek,  empty beer bottles are thrown into the woods, dogs running all over... I was honestly stunned, it was as if I was invisible.  (I'm not.  In fact I'm very visible.)  All this in the space smaller than an average living room.   Even a living room in a trailer.    It's that kind of F-ing attitude that ruins things for everyone.   You'd think that in the outdoors it might be a little different than it is at walmart, but it's not.  

5 hours ago, mikechell said:

As a general rule, I hate people.  All y'all are just stating more reasons for me to feel that way.

"hate" takes more energy than I really care to expend on anyone at this point in my life-   if it is an emotion opposite of love,  I may have felt hate twice in my life.   No time for that shit any more.   Dislike, detest, abhor, suffer crippling disappointment, oh yeah, all that and more.    A problem here for someone like me is there is no chance to get away from population on a quick-trip basis, and this year with travel restrictions at work, no chance period.   Even with the crowds of morons, I have had a few very early morning floats and wading sessions in which I was almost alone.   The older I get, the more I value solitude (I always have valued it), or spending time with a very few non-morons who I have met.    I keep trying to give people the chance- I will like you until you give me a reason not to.   Occasionally my hope is restored-   last week I was out on a bike ride, where I live I have no choice on my way out of town but to pass a few small spring creeks which are overlooked-  A young guy, maybe 18 or 19 and because it is 2020 I gotta say even though it is totally irrelevant, ethnically not the same as me, getting on his bike, carrying a fishing rod and wearing a vest-   I asked if he had any luck,  stopped, talked for probably half an hour about fish and fishing  and local areas,  just two guys, chance meeting, great conversation, faith restored that there are good people out there.