Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Pbass

Thin head cement or thick gloss on Clouser Minnow heads?

Hi, Do you guys use a thin head cement that absorbs into the threads or a thick glossy head cement for things like Clouser minnows and streamers with heads of built up thread? Any standard rule? I am not sure it really matters once the thing is under water? Thank you

I don’t think I’ve used anything but Sally Hansen on clouser heads and they catch fish. Maybe if you’re tying for show you might want to build it up to a higher sheen.

Regards,
Scott

Since I don't tie display flies, I don't put much effort into making them look pretty.  I, generally, use one of two finishes. 

1. Superglue, if I want it too look exactly like it is.  The superglue absorbs in and the threads look like they aren't coated.
  2. Clear fingernail polish from Dollar Tree.  Buck a bottle and they have several "thicknesses" to choose from.

11 minutes ago, SBPatt said:

I don’t think I’ve used anything but Sally Hansen on clouser heads and they catch fish. Maybe if you’re tying for show you might want to build it up to a higher sheen.

Regards,
Scott

Thank you for the response. I have some SH Xtreme wear hard as nails. I just got it and have not used it yet. I will give it a try. up till now I have been using Loon Outdoors head cement and it soaks up and disappears. Thanks again

9 minutes ago, mikechell said:

Since I don't tie display flies, I don't put much effort into making them look pretty.  I, generally, use one of two finishes. 

1. Superglue, if I want it too look exactly like it is.  The superglue absorbs in and the threads look like they aren't coated.
  2. Clear fingernail polish from Dollar Tree.  Buck a bottle and they have several "thicknesses" to choose from.

Thank you! I will try the finger nail polish this time. I have been using Loon Outdoors Just wondered if there was some kind of standard. Sound like the thick or thin stuff will fish fine! Thank you again

You’re very welcome.  Whatever you use, I’m sure you’ll catch a mess of fish on them.

Regards,
Scott

the "old standard" used to be epoxy

today you can just about use anything you have available. crazy glue, uv resin, sally hansens, head cement etc.

with a couple of tight whip finishes you probably would need nothing at all

fish dont care what you use

For my own usage as well as all of the flies I hand my anglers Krazy Glue is all I ever use these days...

8yLxKj0.jpg

Be sparing with any thin super glue since it will wick up into nearby materials if it can reach them.  One of the side benefits of using a thin super glue is that it absorbs down into your thread and literally seals the surface so well that you can paint eyes on top of a built up thread head... but that's another story entirely...

Back when I was tying for shops that Krazy glue was just a first step and then I'd add painted eyes if appropriate and finally a rodcrafter's finish (FlexCoat).  The results were simply outstanding - but all of that was to catch the fisherman - not necessarily the fish....

I use nail polish to seal heads, usually Hard as Nails or a cheap colored polish I snagged from my daughters' collection if I want to a different head color.  Super glue I typically use only between steps to keep material in place on the finished fly.

Multiple thin coats are often a better choice than single thick coats, regardless of what you use. As has been mentioned here, it depends on your intent with it which type might be a good choice. Thin coatings tend to penetrate better. 

I use either SH or epoxy on Clouser Minnow's, and each can do a good job. I've tossed them around rip rap, and bridge pilings and epoxy coated flies last longer. 

As far as the gloss, it's not really that visible underwater, unless you may be fishing in very clear and shallow water with a bright Sun, so then you may get some reflected light and a little added flash, but if you want flash, there's better ways to do it. 

As Capt Bob said, gloss coatings are more for the angler than the fish. 

I seldom use super glue for the very reason that Capt Bob mentioned, as it wicks up into materials. Much of what folks use is just a personal choice, so we all use what we like. It's probable that none are any better or worse than another. 

For clousers,   I don't build a head.  I just coat the threads of the last few wraps with super glue, and when that dries I add a light coat of UV resin.   

Streamers are a different story,  I would say the majority of my streamers have eyes... I've been known to put eyes on woolly buggers.   I use thread to build up and give the head a shape and give me something to attach the eyes to.  Shapes vary depending on how much space I've left myself between the material and the hook eye.  I use to make them with  5 minute epoxy but these days I use UV resin.  Much easier and I don't as many lopsided heads.  These two came out like I would like every head I make to come out.

P6010598 (2).JPG

shad (2).JPG

Wow! Thank you all for so much good information. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your ideas and experience!

Philly- Those are some great looking heads for sure!

I tested out the SH hard as nails today. The final result had some air bubbles trapped inside. I think I was brushing it on while it was getting sticky. Or I didn't wait long enough between layers. At any rate it was a fun time. I am learning more every day. 

Sounds like should get some super glue as well and give it a try.

Tying is becoming just as enjoyable as catching fish! 

Thank you all again for your help!

Sally Hanson and super glue is used to lock the threads in place not to build up heads. One dab and your good to go. With a 2nd coat of SH you can get a smoother finish on your thread but you have to let it completely dry before the next coat or the 1st coat will gas off causing bubbles in the 2nd coat. If you want to build up heads you would use epoxy or UV resin. 

1 hour ago, Poopdeck said:

Sally Hanson and super glue is used to lock the threads in place not to build up heads. One dab and your good to go. With a 2nd coat of SH you can get a smoother finish on your thread but you have to let it completely dry before the next coat or the 1st coat will gas off causing bubbles in the 2nd coat. If you want to build up heads you would use epoxy or UV resin. 

Thank you for explaining that! That totally explains what happened. I have some of that Loon outdoors Hard Head Clear. I tried it out on a coper john and liked it. Not sure how it compares to epoxy.  I am trying to be as kind to my body as possible and have been avoiding epoxy. I worked 20 years in some harsh chemicals and developed Peripheral neuropathy in my feet from the toxins they contained.  The alternatives  to the "good stuff" never seem to be quite as good. 

Thank you again for your help!