Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Good to add to christmas list

I bought one of these awhile back and just wanted to let anyone that has never used one know how helpful these are. The LED lights give off a nice "glow" instead of a direct beam when you are tying on a new fly at night,IMO it helps to keep from casting a "beam" of light on the water that might scare the fish. Deff worth putting on your Christmas list when your honey asks you what you want(better than a tie right wink.gif )

SD

post-3-1070062075.jpg

Now that I've procrastinated long enough, I'm glad somebody ELSE posted this thought.

However, I want to point out this type of item should be shopped around, BIG TIME!!! - WHY??? - well, I'm so very glad you asked!!! dry.gif

These neat little goodies can be found in online or catalog sales sites, e.g., Campmor, Sierra Trading Post, Sportsman's Guide, Cabela's - take your pick. Of late, I have taken a particular liking to www.sportsmansguide.com - wicked good prices on wicked neat stuff. I've seen headlamps there (website), or in their actual paper catalogs and everywhere else; REI, regional shops you guys might know about, and so forth.

Also, these types of things can be found in the Realm of the Evil Empire (as one friend described it - WalMart). In the time since I purchased both Princeton and Black Diamond models, I've seen adequate and serviceable units available at the Blue Store, under all the usual names you'd expect - Ray-O-Vac, etc.

To add to the list: Neoprene gloves - Don't leave home without them! biggrin.gif

Yupp shopping around for the light is a good suggestion,i purchased mine from orvis and paid around $37 if i remember correctly then my buddy bought the exact same light(same brand and all!) a week later for $29 some place else! sad.gif

SD

I just picked up one at gander mountain... though not a petzl brand, it is made by energizer (well, thats the label, prolly made alongside petzl). It has two white leds, and one red led, pretty cool. It was 18 bucks, 19.07 cents with tax or something like that. 50 hour battery life..... good stuff, the red is a nice soft glow.... don't think it would spook fish at all, especially since red gets filtered out through water so quickly.

steve

You forgot the best part of it steve......just think of the fun you can have scaring other fisherman out of "your" hole when they see a red light bobbin up and down the trail towards them in the middle of the woods at 3am biggrin.gif wink.gif

SD

Best damn investment I have made. I got a Petzel just like the one pictured before Archery season. Also got the extra Green, red and clear lens for it.

Puts out good light and only operates of 2 AAA batteries !