Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
indiglofish61@gmail.com

Tying wooly bugger?

Hello, i learning how to tie the wooly bugger, ive seen 2 different ways so far . One is where he wraps thread first then the other he wraps the wire first. What would be the difference or what would be better? 

Can you share the videos or what you watched? I'm know what your asking but there isnt enough information to help. 

I palmer the hackle from the hook eye to the bend and counterwrap the wire in a spiral over the hackle to the hook eye or bead/cone, if that is what you mean..  

hi the best way to start tying your Woolly Bugger always start with the thread base tie in the the marrabou tail then tie in the wire rib for the body then the tip of the body hackle then dub your body dubbing to the thread then wind your dubbed thread to the front of the hook tapering then the body as you wind the dubbing forward to the thackleie off point leave your self about 1/16" gap then wind the the hackle forward tie off then counter rap the wire rib through the hackle making sure not trap the hackle fibres then whip finish hope this helps

best regards Steve

Here is a link to a Wooly Bugger tutorial I did for Hatches Magazine several years back.  It might help you out.  Which ever way you decide you like, tying in the hackle first will make life easier and for a much neater head area either with or without a bead.  Remember though that Wooly Buggers can imitate many different things from baitfish, leaches, dragon and damsel flies and stoneflies.  Adjust your material densities, lengths and overall shape accordingly.  Don't just go by what you see in the videos.  

Copper and Black Bugger

If you mean lead wire, probably better to wrap the hook first with thread.  Not much better, though.  Keeps the lead wire from twisting on the hook shaft. Not entirely necessary.