Fly Tying

Hooked into a big fish and he found a spot in my rod that didnt like being pulled around. Snapped right in between the eye. Is this fixable? 20200804_104352.thumb.jpg.850843e0abd3aefecf02885286d1446f.jpg

20200804_105221.jpg

It's prob fixable by trimming back the split's then putting an inner stint in and re wrapping that guide . The good thing is since its right under a guide the action from the stint wouldn't change the feel much at all.

Honestly I would say probably not. There's some pretty decent rods you can get for under $100 from Bass Pro or Cabelas so by the time you factor in the orginal $30 you paid, $25 repair, then prob $15-$17 shipping both ways, you'd end in with $70 into a rod that was repaired.

27 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

Honestly I would say probably not. There's some pretty decent rods you can get for under $100 from Bass Pro or Cabelas so by the time you factor in the orginal $30 you paid, $25 repair, then prob $15-$17 shipping both ways, you'd end in with $70 into a rod that was repaired.

Landon, I'm sorry to hear of your "accident". 

There's no reason to factor in the original $30--it's long gone since there is no "salvage value". So it's either worth the additional $25+17=42 to save it, or it's not.  If you know where you can go get another one for $30, the the choice is clear.  If you have $100 laying around for a new one then the choice isn't too hard.  You are in a good position, in fact the best position, to know how much you liked the one that needs fixing (was it a $100 rod that you got for $30?)

Good luck with whichever path you choose!

Bill

I factor in the $30 because it represents the overall value of the rod. If it were a higher end rod and had $300 original cost then $40 for repairs are worth it. Being a $30 price then spending more on repairs than the rod is worth is not wise IMO. Just the way I personally look at things such as this.

I'm going to get a new one. That rod really wasnt that easy to cast to begin with and I got not a clue were I could get another one anyway. I just bought a rotary vise you think i got money laying around? 😂😂

You could do a cheap fix yourself it probably won't be pretty but you might be able to use something like a small piece of hardwood dowel for the stint, wrap the eye with some fly tying thread and super glue it. Then you'll have something to fish with and you could save up some money to buy a nicer rod, Steve's are great especially for the price.

1 hour ago, vicente said:

You could do a cheap fix yourself it probably won't be pretty but you might be able to use something like a small piece of hardwood dowel for the stint, wrap the eye with some fly tying thread and super glue it. Then you'll have something to fish with and you could save up some money to buy a nicer rod, Steve's are great especially for the price.

Might do this also I got nothing to lose 

23 minutes ago, Landon P said:

Might do this also I got nothing to lose 

If you do then try to use a section from an old broken rod (preferably fiberglass). A wood dowel won't offer much if any flex and will cause a shear point and just end up breaking where the end of the dowel stops. A section from an old glass rod will help to flex with the rest of the rod and have a far greater chance of working for you. If you decide to try to fix it yourself shoot me a message and I'll tryin walk ya through it.