Fly Tying
Pbass

Whats your favorite odd ball and mainstream fly rod?

I am just wondering what your favorite Fly Rods are including something outside of the normal. 

My favorite odd fly rod is my Loop AEG 590. Its a cool 3pc 9ft 5wt that Loop designed with the help of the Angler exploration Group. 

My favorite mainstream rod (and favorite rod) is my Sage Trout LL 490. 

What do you guys like?

Mine are all sort of odd balls, 2 from Steve 10ft 8wt and a 10ft 6wt, the third is a 9'10 4wt I built, all of them cast great but Steve's look much much nicer.

Hmmm ... tough question.  I have used 5 weights most of my life ... and those were always the inexpensive combos from BPS or Cabelas's, like the "Bugger" rods from BPS.  I've always liked them, still do.

BUT, a few years ago, Steve built a 5'6" 3 weight that I absolutely love. <it's nickname is "Needle">  It's been my main rod since.  I also have a 9' 8 weight that I use when I'm fishing that heavy ... and now I have a 10' Euro nymphing rod he built for me, named "Longclaw".  While it's not likely to take the #1 spot from "Needle", "Longclaw" is getting closer to being my #2 rod every time I go out.

4 minutes ago, vicente said:

Yea Steve aka steeldrifter is midwest custom fly rods

Thanks

The only rod I have that I would consider an "oddball" is one I built for a local small stream. I like to fish streamers for trout more than anything so I wanted a rod that would throw a heavy T-14 section and streamer but didn't want a 9' rod for a 25ft wide stream. So I took a 9' 3pc 7wt blank and took 18" off the butt section and made it a 7'6" 7wt. Works perfect for my local stream

I'm not sure what your definition of odd ball is however, I have a st. Croix imperial 6 wt that I really enjoy fishing, a redington CT 4 wt and I Midwest custom 8 wt that I enjoy. Come to think if it I like all my rods including a cabelas 89.00 5 wt combo, and couple TFO's that are all my mainstays. I won't replace any of them unless I break one. 

2 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

The only rod I have that I would consider an "oddball" is one I built for a local small stream. I like to fish streamers for trout more than anything so I wanted a rod that would throw a heavy T-14 section and streamer but didn't want a 9' rod for a 25ft wide stream. So I took a 9' 3pc 7wt blank and took 18" off the butt section and made it a 7'6" 7wt. Works perfect for my local stream

Nice! I really liked some of the shorter heavy rods I have cast. 

2 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

I'm not sure what your definition of odd ball 

Just something other than current top shelf favorites. Most favorite rod topics I have seen in the past all just came down to modern expensive rods. And with good reason. They preform well. I tried to give everyone an option to include a modern mainstream rod and something that others might not know about or realize is a great tool. 

For instance it sounds like Steeldrifter makes some rods that are really popular here......Great,  now I am wanting to try one of his custom builds!

my favorite 1980's vintage winston 8ft - 6in 4wt 2 piece (green blank) 

my oddball is a lamiglass fiberglass 7ft-6in 3wt 4 piece that was built to have granger bamboo color scheme and hardware

7 hours ago, Pbass said:

Just something other than current top shelf favorites. Most favorite rod topics I have seen in the past all just came down to modern expensive rods. And with good reason. They preform well. I tried to give everyone an option to include a modern mainstream rod and something that others might not know about or realize is a great tool. 

For instance it sounds like Steeldrifter makes some rods that are really popular here......Great,  now I am wanting to try one of his custom builds!

In that case mine are all odd ball that happen to perform as good or better than the most expensive rod on the market. At least as far as I know having not ever held, cast, read about or desired to own anything more expensive. Ignorance is bliss. 

Considering I'm usually fishing for trout 16" or less in confined areas and small streams the rod I take most often is my LL Bean 7' 3" Pocket Water 3Wt. Not a common sight on the river but I don't know if it meets the "oddball" definition. 

When I'm on larger water and fish I go with my Hardy Angel 2 9' 5Wt.

I also use a 7' 6" no name 1960's  5Wt  bamboo rod that I restored myself.  That would probably be the "Oddest" of the rods I fish.

After building rods for many many years, I own too many to really have a favorite and not sure anything could be considered that odd (maybe a glass or multi piece travel rod ? )  Several of the rods do have decorative feather inlays, decals, or thread work  that make them unique. 

Two in one for me at the moment, only because I'm still enjoying it so much....

Thomas & Thomas first generation graphite, 8'6", 7 weight. Made to cast with a bamboo feel, only in graphite -- which is it's oddity. Bamboo style hardware & wraps.