Fly Tying
haziz

Wax for Silk Thread?

Just used your wax tonight Mr. Bailey on the Purple Haze I posted in “August flies” . Enjoy using your wax and I often recommend it.

12 hours ago, wsbailey said:

Thanks DrLogik! I have made many pounds of wax over the years. For the average tyer the basic 7 2 1 rosin, beeswax and castor oil formula works fine. My stuff is more complicated and required a huge amount of trial and error before having any success.

What's the difference between the cobblers, white and cake waxes please. Aside from, the cobbler's looking like it's black. TIA

1 hour ago, Sandan said:

What's the difference between the cobblers, white and cake waxes please. Aside from, the cobbler's looking like it's black.

The cobbler's and white waxes have to be softened in hand but set up to make a very durable fly. The cobbler's wax contains pitch so it is even more durable. The cake wax is a blend of six or seven ingredients. The friction caused by drawing the thread through it is enough to soften it.

Black cobbler's wax is also used to change the color of the silk thread.  It also darkens it.  For instance, Pearsall's Primrose Yellow waxed with Black Cobbler's wax turns the "right" color green for a number of North Country Spider flies. 

Waxing the last bit of dark thread with Black wax and then whip finishing provides a very durable head on the fly also.  No varnish is "needed" to hold it together.  The stuff is tenacious.

1 hour ago, wsbailey said:

The cobbler's and white waxes have to be softened in hand but set up to make a very durable fly. The cobbler's wax contains pitch so it is even more durable. The cake wax is a blend of six or seven ingredients. The friction caused by drawing the thread through it is enough to soften it.

Thank you

The darker the wax, the more rosin is in it. The stuff I made was dark, but not black. At first making, I didn't put any olive oil in it and it was too hard.  Second time, I put too much oil in it and it was too sticky.  There is a recipe for cobbler's wax but it's in a volume no tier could ever need. 

I stopped using head cement years ago and finish my fly heads with plain beeswax.  A couple passes on the tread just before the whip finish.  It's an old technique, when pulling the whip knot tight the friction melts the bees wax and it grips after it solidifies.   The down side is It's not glossy and not as pretty as a head sealed with cement or resin. On upside it prevents divorce by not destroying the finish on fine furniture.  And I like that it's an "Old Timey" touch.

I use Overtone's for certain types of dubbing and when I need a little extra grip.