Fly Tying
samsonboi

Here ya go Mogup

1 hour ago, samsonboi said:

I never miss hits with an indy on the tag or a Piggyback.

No need to read any further. 

51 minutes ago, Jaydub said:

Sandan, I think your missing the point. These are designed for specific situations, not general purpose nymphing. The purpose of the Piggyback/Parasol style emerger is to imitate a nymph hanging just below the surface prior to emergence. Often these are tied to hang the fly maybe an inch deep. There are certainly other ways to do this it's just one technique. 

Actually, I made absolutely no mention of the piggyback/parasol style of fly. My point(s) were specifically directed, not towards a fly or style of fly I have no opinion on but rather towards specific overriding inaccurate statements presented as factual regarding indicator nymphing.   I guess when someone makes this statement "I never miss hits with an indy on the tag or a Piggyback." we know that to be completely accurate 😂.  I only wish I was that good a fisherman to never miss hits with an indy. 

On the tag. ON THE TAG. That’s basically an emerger. I don’t miss hits on those with trout, ever, as long as they solidly hit the fly. If they just splash at it, yeah I miss them, or if they overshoot it, but that is not a hit.

Although when striking from upstream, that is, I’m setting the hook from a point upstream of the fish, I miss a lot of hits on the dries and wets I fish downstream. But that doesn’t apply to Piggybacks because I only fish them upstream. They just don’t work right downstream- line control is a lot harder. So I just use a skittered dry or a wet pupa or soft hackle on a Leisenring lift when I fish downstream. Oh and streamers too.

1 minute ago, samsonboi said:

I don’t miss hits on those with trout, ever, as long as they solidly hit the fly.

Why am I even wasting my time? First it was "I never miss hits with an indy on the tag or a Piggyback." now it's what I quoted plus the rest of your statement. Yep it's the fish not you. A bit more humility and lot less hubris and you'd have a leg to stand on.  

Does anyone miss hits on a Piggyback? They’re so easy to follow. I don’t think it’s hubris, it’s just true. I have literally never missed a solid hit on a Piggyback. 

I am not saying I’m the best fly fisher, nympher, or anything else. I am an amateur with a lot to learn about fly fishing. I am just making a statement of fact. Take it or leave it, it’s true. 

My posts about indicators? Those are opinions based on observation on my home waters. It’s perfectly fine if you don’t accept them. To me, they are true. To you, maybe not. Keep in mind that your fishing is very technical fishing to selective trout. I believe you’re in Pennsylvania? My fishing is a lot less technical. I don’t think I’ve ever tied on a dry fly under size 22- and that’s rare. I usually fish dries between 6 and 16. My most common size range for dries is 10-14. Nymphs, yes, smaller sizes sometimes, but the smallest nymphs I commonly use are around 18. If conditions dictate I will go smaller but I rarely need to. Trout on the Au Sable can get somewhat selective, but general size give or take a hook size or two and general shape and color are about as selective as they get besides during the Sulfur, Green Drake, and Iso hatches. Got black caddis in #16 hatching? They’ll take a very dark brown or olive caddis in 14 or 16.

Anyway, our fish usually hit more solidly and are less selective. On spring creeks fish can afford to be picky. On a freestone creek refusing a meal could mean starvation- because if the trout misses a couple meals, the other fish might crowd him out cause he’s weak, meaning he’ll most likely miss more. 

And as for this “I only wish I was that good a fisherman to never miss hits with an indy. 

I miss a lot of hits with regular indy’s.