Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutmaster08

Summer bass flies

There's a post in fly fishing that has a bunch of people's favorite bass flys. This worms been working out well for me, also a foam top diver with a marabou and flash tail.

20200619_120014.jpg

This time of year, I'm usually throwing top water flies for bass.  Particularly early in the day and in the evening.  Since I tie my own, I'll just give you generic terms.  Poppers, sliders(Sneaky Pete's), Crease flies,  large grasshopper patterns, frog patterns.  I'd use pretty much the same patterns fishing lakes/ponds, rivers/creeks.

+1 on what Philly said. Keep it simple:

surface - poppers, etc

midrange - divers or Murdich minnows

deeper - tequelly 

Invest your energy on the water. The patterns you will end up liking will evolve. 

In the Dog Days of Summer ... what to throw at bass is totally dependent on time of day. 

Dusk through dawn (all night), big top water frogs, poppers and other commotion makers.  But don't fish them fast.  The bass are hungry, but heat makes them as lethargic as cold and they aren't often in the mood to chase.  They'll take their time getting to the bug/frog, then attack it when it cannot possible escape.  It's a safe way to guarantee a meal, sneak up on it and inhale.

When the sun's up ... suspending and bottom lures.  But don't fish them fast!  The same rules apply, they are sneaky in hotter waters.  Drifting up to prey with as little movement as possible gets them closer than a hard charge.  It can take them a long time to approach.  Once they're close enough, they pounce.

In the brightest sun, fish as close to cover as you can.  They'll be in whatever shade they can find.  Even deep, they're looking for cover.  Not because they don't like the sun, but because the shade is what everything else is going to, also.  It's THE perfect ambush site.

What he said.  And you need to put stuff that dangles and wiggles on the hook, like rubber legs and marabout.  Some good advice I got was "put some dangling [email protected]#^ on a hook and fish it real slow next to the brush."  The hotter it is, the deeper you fish.  Remember, bass don't eat every day, they eat about every 3rd day.