Fly Tying
Landon P

How cool is this?

Ohhh !   That looks like a great vise for tying deerhair bugs with !

Not much better than a clothes pin. Lol.  My first exposure to fly tying was with a Noll’s tying kit which

had a vise like that one which almost was the cause of me abandoning fly tying forever !

i have one as well given to me by a friend of my dads.had alot of silk type thread.  i wished it had dodo bird feathers

I started with a kit by Tack-L-Tyer's. I'm not sure it was the exact same kit, but it looks like the exact same vise! :)   What the kit really needed was a bobbin, or at least advise to get one!   It looks like there is some usable stuff in the box, but don't count on the thread being worth a darn (a little pun there...).  Test it with your hands and you'll (probably) see what I mean.  The book was definitely an add-on! : )  Pretty cool!

Bill

37 minutes ago, Bill_729 said:

What the kit really needed was a bobbin, or at least advise to get one!  

Bobbin holders weren't in common use at the time.  If you needed to keep tension on the thread, you either hooked it in a thumb tack in the edge of your desk, put it in a hackle pliers, or did a half hitch.  I managed to tie a great many flies before I owned a bobbin holder.

9 hours ago, redietz said:

Bobbin holders weren't in common use at the time.  If you needed to keep tension on the thread, you either hooked it in a thumb tack in the edge of your desk, put it in a hackle pliers, or did a half hitch.  I managed to tie a great many flies before I owned a bobbin holder.

I tied a few dozen too.  But everything about my experience seemed to improve after I started using a bobbin (holder). IIRC, the instructions in the kit advised to use a half-hitch or two after each "operation".  It took me a while to break that "bad habit" (which I found slowed me down needlessly).   To this day I use half hitches, but not as frequently as that.  I am certain that I haven't tied a single fly without a bobbin holder since I got one!  i never went back to the original vise after my grandfather contributed his Thompson Model B either!  : )  I noticed one of those Tack-L-Tyer vises listed on ebay a few months ago for about $9.95; it's probably still there.

As far as "the kit", despite it's drawbacks it must have worked, since "here" I am...and some of the readers here probably got started in a similar way...   I still remember buying my first fly rod and reel, and the tying kit at the exact same time.  I learned to cast in the backyard.  This thread had a way of making me feel "older than I am"..lol

Those kits are never perfect but they are a very good starting point. I got one for Christmas one year, it has lead to uncounted hours of the best kind of enjoyment I can think of.

That vice is old! I got it for Christmas too.  It was my first some 50 plus years ago and I still have it.  I don't have the fancy box anymore but still hsve that style of the hackle pliers which must have been from the kit.  NICE!