Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
indiglofish61@gmail.com

Tippet to leader?

Learn the perfection loop.  https://www.animatedknots.com/perfection-loop-knot Then you can loop to loop the tippet to the leader.  You can also put tippet rings on the end of the leader and connect the tippet with a clinch knot.

Take a look at these videos from Orvis.  They will answer a lot of basic questions.  https://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/

Edited by BHouk
Added Orvis link

On my tippet spool, I have a band of elastic around it with a tag at the seam.  I sewed the tippet through the elastic, so it sticks out near that tag.  I tie a perfection loop into the tippet, and that sits right against the elastic.

When I need to refresh my tippet, I already have the loop tied.  I determine the desired length of tippet and tie a new loop at that point.  I can then clip off the tippet and attach it to the leader with a loop-to-loop connection.  The loop for the next change is ready, on the spool.

Blood knot or double surgeons knot.  Leave the tag end long on the surgeons and add another fly there.   Good way to do hopper dropper or popper dropper.   All the surgeon is is a multiple over hand knot of the leader and the  tippet  but gotta bring whole tippet thru each time.  If you wanta Loop do a Surgeons Loop if you have trouble with a perfection loop.  Catspaw at the fly line loop can come later for more serious stuff.   Just go thru the leader loop twice at the fly line loop puts a round turn around the fly line loop. 

93AE2023-F7ED-4762-8304-AD95093A3126.png

Depending on the rig I'm fishing, I do two different setups, one is the double surgeons knot, the other loop to loop.

6 hours ago, denduke said:

Blood knot or double surgeons knot.

i do same depending on line, with fluorocarbon tippet, i find double surgeons holds good/easier/faster to tie and use a 6-7 turn Duncan loop knot at fly (been using Duncan loop for 30 years, can tie with eyes closed/at night. blood knot at night?...no way).