Fly Tying
Pbass

Pictures of cool reels!

We did the odd ball rods topic. Now how about cool reels. I will start with an old Martin wind up that was my grandfathers and a plastic fantastic Loop Evotec CLWC.  The Loop is actually a fun reel. It is super light weight and actually works well. When under load the Loop frame will flex enough that I can feel the spool rub the frame basket! LOL. I know it looks like a toy from China but for some reason I dig it. 

DSC_0112.jpeg

DSC_0114.jpeg

DSC_0106.jpeg

DSC_0104.jpeg

8 minutes ago, petegray said:

Megoff... 

fullsizeoutput_4389.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_438a.jpeg

Thats a cool reel! I had never heard of Megoff. I just looked them up. Awesome!

I like my sage 3880cf carbon fibre spools, the reel itself would've been pretty pricey (for me anyways) if I hadn't gotten it from Sierra trading post, but for a reel in its price range the spools were very affordable.

20200816_162635.jpg

20200816_162651.jpg

4 hours ago, vicente said:

I like my sage 3880cf carbon fibre spools, the reel itself would've been pretty pricey (for me anyways) if I hadn't gotten it from Sierra trading post, but for a reel in its price range the spools were very affordable.

20200816_162635.jpg

20200816_162651.jpg

Those are nice reels for sure and I like that color a lot!  I am actually a bit of a Sage fan

Reels are my weak spot.  This Keneya bi-metal reel is no longer mine but I have the same model with the addition of a counter balance loaded with a synthetic silk line that matches up with bamboo.

kineya301.jpg

kineyaback.jpg

The Pfleuger Medalist series, especially those made in the USA, has to be one of the most simple, reliable, popular, numerous reels ever manufactured.  They can still be found in great condition.  I still have at least a half dozen and use them frequently but this is by far the oldest one I have.

medalist1.jpg

I love my (auction find) older generation Abel 3N in guide / matte finish with the cork disk drag.  This was supposed to be a great bonefish reel but I use it mostly for striped bass.  

abel3n.jpg

30 minutes ago, johnnyquahog said:

The Pfleuger Medalist series, especially those made in the USA, has to be one of the most simple, reliable, popular, numerous reels ever manufactured.  They can still be found in great condition.

I agree, but the current prices are double or more of what they were last year at the same time. There is a 1494 "spool" up for auction on ebay, with a current bid of about $36.  Of course, it includes the original "box" which may be of value to some (not me).  Still not too bad compared to the cost of a spool for a new reel I guess.  Too bad that more of the cost benefits of CNC weren't passed along to the customer. It's probably never before in history been as easy to manufacture a reel as it is now; but admittedly, companies in this business, or any business, are in it to make money. So, all you can do is to try to be a smart consumer (it's a minefield out there! : )  )

Here's an old picture of one of the Nautilus reels I hand my customers... This one's a 10wt reel and the fly is one of my signature patterns - a Tarpon Snake.. Since many modern reels are done using computer controlled machining the place where they make these reels is dead silent, much much different than the old Fin Nor manufacturing facility.  I'm very fortunate since both were within 30 minutes of my house.... Fin Nor has been gone from south Florida for quite a few years now... Nautilus is still going strong.  Because of how they're made it's a simple matter to have your name on the reel if you choose.  This sample is the only one I have with that feature since if and when I sell it... having a name on a reel is not a great selling point.... I like these Nautilus reels enough that I currently have a half dozen of them... from an 8wt up to 12 wts....

9rpjl3t.jpg

18 hours ago, johnnyquahog said:

Reels are my weak spot.  This Keneya bi-metal reel is no longer mine but I have the same model with the addition of a counter balance loaded with a synthetic silk line that matches up with bamboo.

Nice! I like the clean design.