Fly Tying

Funny you ask Mark. I've asked that question of many of my fellow classic salmon fly tyers and never got a specific or definitive answer.

Here is how I might guess for my time on this pattern...and remember these are tied for show so I am taking my time and great pains to make things right.

Put the hook in the vise; tie in the gut eye; move to the back of the hook and tie in the tip/tag...30 minutes.

Next step - tie in the tale and if required the tail's veil; tie in the butt; go to the front of the hook, tie in the underbody material and form the underbody...40 minutes +or-

Go to the back of the hook; tie in the rib; move to the center of the hook and tie in the body floss; wrap the floss back and then forward to the tie in point; wrap the rib to end of the rear floss; tie in body veils over and under the body; tie in and wrap mid-body butt; tie in second rib and hackle; go to the front of the hook and tie in in the floss; wrap the floss back and forward; wrap the rib and then the hackle with the stem tight to the back of the rib; tie in and wrap the throat...90 minutes more or less.

Prep and tie in the underwing...15 to 20 minutes

Marry the strips for the main wing and tie that in next...at least 60 minutes.

Tie in the waterfowl sides; tie in the jungle cock; tie in the cheeks; put the roof on...60 minutes +or-

Tie in the topping followed by the horns...20 minutes or so; carefully wrap and shape the head; then whip finish...another 20 minutes or so.

One coat of thin head cement followed by 3 or 4 coats of thicker head cement, allowing each coat to TOTALLY dry before applying the next

The math says approximately - 5 1/2 to 6  hours +or -  And that is about the norm for me. I might spend a couple of weeks going through the process when I get the urge.

So...there you have it and I don't think I missed anything, and this is if everything goes right the first time!😁

Forgot to mention...all underbody and finished floss body parts are burnished to make sure they are smooth and glisten.

Lots of patience and available time necessary for that beautiful result. VERY well done!

Thanks Kinni...but what I didn't emphasize is I may do one step today, another on Saturday, the next on Wednesday...well you get the idea. My second vise fills in for tying basic needs, and this is one of the pleasures of retirement😎

Yes SalarMan this is quite nice, and like u, time to take? Maybe 3/4 days? As I put something on, take it off, put it back on, then walk away. For me, getting the head finished gives me @ a bug a boo”. I use a lot of wax, but then that can create issues. Quality of materials can be the challenge.It can be very costly when using IC and BC. To be honest I have gotten away from the Classic’s but maybe its time to give one another go, sold off a bunch of crow to some of the guys, might have to give em a call lol 

15 hours ago, Bruce Derington said:

Yes SalarMan this is quite nice, and like u, time to take? Maybe 3/4 days? As I put something on, take it off, put it back on, then walk away. For me, getting the head finished gives me @ a bug a boo”. I use a lot of wax, but then that can create issues. Quality of materials can be the challenge.It can be very costly when using IC and BC. To be honest I have gotten away from the Classic’s but maybe its time to give one another go, sold off a bunch of crow to some of the guys, might have to give em a call lol 

Bruce - Never a rush for my part, and like you when something is tied in it stays in only if it is correct. We are also in agreement regarding materials. At my age I think my larder of IC & BC are enough to do me, but I have no issues with using subs either. I spent almost an hour on the phone with McLain yesterday and the subject of exotic materials came up. We saw eye to eye in that while it may be great to tie with the "real thing" there is no harm in using top of the line subs. All that being said, you  and I are kindred spirits when it come to taking the time to acquire and use top quality materials...the end result is worth it...whether it is a Jock Scott or a Quill Gordon.

I may not be the best Classic Salmon Fly tyer on the planet, but it sure has been great fun over the years.

Time for me to go. I have a couple of tying club members arriving at 10:00 for our continuing classics session as I mentor and try to help them along the journey. Gotta lay out what is needed for today.

John is a great friend of mine and I have spent countless hours with him over the years, even shared time on the water. His knowledge and talent is second to no one and is more than willing to pass it on

Your is as beautiful representation of that fly as I have ever seen. You, Bruce, and others do amazing things with a vise and feathers.

7 hours ago, vicrider said:

Your is as beautiful representation of that fly as I have ever seen. You, Bruce, and others do amazing things with a vise and feathers.

Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where did you source all of the exotic materials? I only ask because I remember a “This American Life” episode regarding a flute player who broke into a museum to steal large quantities of birds for their feathers (https://www.thisamericanlife.org/654/the-feather-heist), and immediately thought of it when I saw the photo of your beautifully-tied Jock Scott. There’s also a book on the same crime titled “The Feather Thief” (https://www.amazon.com/dp/1101981636/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_sGPAFb0ND5VEW) I’m certainly not accusing you of doing anything untoward in securing materials, but it just reminded me of that fascinating story. Beautiful fly!

Edwin was a member on our Classic forum and we all knew him Well. Interesting but very sad story. He put some of us in a bad way by posting on our trading floor, posting things like , “ I’m selling off some Indian Crow To buy a new flute”. When the story broke we were dumb founded. It is a challenge to find the  real thing, and I’m sure many question the trail of origins after Rist’s thievery 

To add to Bruce's response...

With a little research I easily came to the conclusion the book was a hatchet job buy an author who went into this with an agenda. THAT does not excuse Edwin's crime, and it is true he gave the fly tying world the proverbial black eye. I know many of the folks mentioned in the book from well to casually and they all assured me they do not now nor did they possess any of those feathers that were for sale...and I'll take them at their word.

As far as the feathers I own and used in this Jock Scott are concerned, they were ALL acquired before the heist at that museum so there are no worries for my part. Just a short internet search today can lead you to many of these various exotics for sale. Plus, it is also well known the prices continue to increase because they are the same feathers recycled for a higher price and therefore a profit. Personally, because of my ethics, I DO NOT partake in these sales simply because I can no longer be sure of the original source of the material...and to honest, they have become too rich for my blood.

Not to beat a dead horse, but as Bruce and Salar said, Edwin was a huge name in the community and an active member here. He definitely gave a lot of bad press to the group as a whole. I read the Feather Thief book. It was interesting, for sure. There was some good stuff in there-an interesting crime story, some interesting and important history of the exotic feather trade. I'm not sure about the author's agenda, but I was disappointed with the way he made out all salmon fly tyers to be feather-addicted people who can't help themselves and don't care about the illegal feather trade. Those people exist, but it is the minority in my experience (at least I hope). There was also a line about how most salmon fly tyers don't even fly fish....totally garbage unfounded generalization, though true in Edwin's case to my knowledge. It's worth reading, but I'd caution people who aren't part of the community to take some of it with a grain of salt and do your own research. Those in the community I think will feel similarly to me especially when people we know well are portrayed in a not-so-positive light. 

I'm also cautious of exotic materials. I own my fair share, I acquire them ethically, but honestly don't ever know their true origin 100%. I do agree though that the cost is very prohibitive to most tyers, and increased demand has the potential to lead to some shady things. But, there are so many classic salmon fly patterns that don't require anything exotic and are still very beautiful. One just has to dig a little deeper in the books to find these patterns, but they are just as satisfying as those that need "holy grail" materials. I hope that fact becomes more known so people don't feel so unable to start tying the classics.

Anyway, a great Jock Scott!

One final note from me...I'm sick of the topic of this friggin book showing up every few months since its publication, and usually from someone on the outside looking in who knows nothing about fly fishing or what is a major part of the sport to all of us here...fly tying.

For my classics I proudly use the best substitutes I can find and it is a well established fact that is what we all do and no one...NO ONE...looks down their nose for any reason on that practice. Yes I do have a small amount of what I call the real thing and I use it sparingly for something special on occasion. But to those who proudly work with and adorn their classic or artistic flies with exotic subs...bravo and well done indeed!!!!

My other thoughts I'll keep to myself...they'd probably get me banned from the site 😎