Fly Tying
flymaster

Hey Graham

For years I fished a floating line with a 15-20 foot leader-tippet, this worked well, but now I prefer to use a full sink line with a 6 foot leader-tippet. I cast up and across, and just as the fly hits the water, throw more line up stream, sweep my rod in that direction to reduce any line belly while sinking, and while still holding the rod out to the side I start slowly pulling line in until I’m tight to the fly, hopefully still about 20-30 feet upstream, keeping the tip of the rod pointed down, almost touching the surface, trying to point the tip straight at the fly, and try to feel the bite with my fingers holding the line, instead waiting for the rod tip to bounce, and set the hook by pulling the line, then raise my tip up high, without jerking it. It takes a lot of concentration, and I can think of twice someone mentioning that I look like a cobra ready to strike. Getting into the right frame of mind combined with realistic flies is key for me. Large trout turn on and off all day like any other fish and being on the water all day , fishing from dawn till dusk will almost certainly allow you to get bit once the feeding begins. The hard part is fishing with the same degree of concentration between periods of feeding, but the payoff is worth it.

Thanks for the info Graham, I hope I can try and put that stuff to good use headbang.gif

I still haven't taken my negatives to have them scanned, yet. But here's a few fish that were caught in the late 90's.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I also like catching brookies

user posted image

And occasionally fishin for green carp is fun, these fish were released.

user posted image

user posted image

Sorry, just had to show off a few more pic's.

Graham

Later I'll scan some more brookie pic's. I can tell you exactly where I fish for these football brookies. Kirman lake (pronounced Carmen lake)in the Eastern Sierra, about 20 minutes drive north of Bridgeport California. It's about a 7 hour drive from home, 2.7 miles of either walking or typically mountain biking, uphill, with a float tube, pump and gear, but it's sure worth the effort. I have never been skunked there, typically fish spring or fall to avoid the bugs, and the fish probably average over 2 pounds, eat a lot of scuds, and the lake record was about 9 pounds. This small mountain lake is best fished by float tube, and in the fall the fish school up over the underwater seep, and when they swim by the water looks red. The local [email protected]#$*^#'s cut the blades off rooter tail cast across the schools with spinning rods for snagin and keepin. But luckily due to the long drive and hike it remains relatively uncrowded. I hope to be up there in about 5 or 6 weeks, the scenery is magnificent. The photo above shows the view facing east, but the view west is snow capped alpine peaks. The elevation is probably about 7,800', takes the wind out of you getting in but luckily it's all downhill coming out at night.

user posted image

This one was a little pig

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

This is the view facing north.

user posted image

This year I'll take the digital camera and get some great new pics to share.

wow those are some beautiful pics Graham, that makes me sick to hear that people are snagging those brookies mad.gif I never knew that you guys had those kind of brook trout that size there cool.gif

It's one of very very favorite places to fish. The pic below is the same fish as one posted above, just scanned a closer look.

user posted image