Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Landon P

Rusty Rat

Very nice, indeed! There is a lot good going on here. I would extend your body further back toward the bend of the hook which would put your tail in a better position and look better with the length of the floss underwing. You'll want your tail to be roughly even with the end of your wing on this pattern. Your wing and hackle length are good for this hook. This style of the hook isn't idea for the pattern from an aesthetic point of view, but I understand using what you've got on hand. Floss body could also be smoother, but that is mostly an aesthetic thing. This would definitely fish great, keep at it!

I am in agreement with flykid's comments on this one. The work is just fine, but the proportions are off just a wee bit...no big deal for a fishing fly. Simply start the tag directly over the point of the barb and everything else will fall into place. Easy to do by using your bobbin like a plumb bob. I could be wrong, but the tag looks as though it was wrapped towards you...be sure like we discussed before...wrap it away from you like you've done with the rib on this fly.

As far as the floss part of the body is concerned, be sure to flatten the floss when wrapping. If you are using synthetic floss (rayon perhaps??) it is very difficult to get the super smooth body that can be achieved with silk because the synthetics tend to be rather slippery.

Nice work Landon and keep'em coming.

an overall good looking representaion

maybe its the lighting but the underwing and body floss looks yellow not orange

peacock sword fibers for a tail?

is that a salmon fly style hook?

gray fox for the wing?

6 hours ago, flytire said:

an overall good looking representaion

maybe its the lighting but the underwing and body floss looks yellow not orange

peacock sword fibers for a tail?

is that a salmon fly style hook?

gray fox for the wing?

Gray fox wing but I just used regular peacock tips for the tail. Not a salmon hook just a hook with a bent up eye. Just doing these for fun and if i was selling them i would ensure I got the right stuff but at this point I am not. 

8 hours ago, SalarMan said:

I am in agreement with flykid's comments on this one. The work is just fine, but the proportions are off just a wee bit...no big deal for a fishing fly. Simply start the tag directly over the point of the barb and everything else will fall into place. Easy to do by using your bobbin like a plumb bob. I could be wrong, but the tag looks as though it was wrapped towards you...be sure like we discussed before...wrap it away from you like you've done with the rib on this fly.

As far as the floss part of the body is concerned, be sure to flatten the floss when wrapping. If you are using synthetic floss (rayon perhaps??) it is very difficult to get the super smooth body that can be achieved with silk because the synthetics tend to be rather slippery.

Nice work Landon and keep'em coming.

Used 4 strand floss wont be using that again!

Did you use all 4 strands together? If you peel off one strand it should lie pretty flat.

Landon start tying with white thread when you are using floss (after the floss is tied in secure the white and switch to black for the rest of the fly) it gives a better reflection of the color specially when wet, a smooth underbody is essential, floss shows all your mistakes, you can burnish floss to help but it won't make up for a bad underbody - smooth and tapered) overall it is a good fly,  practice your proportions and floss work you are progressing well take your time and learn, have fun :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this