Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SalarMan

Regular Visitor

Sometimes it is those moments when outside around the house that can be the most pleasant.

I was finally prepared to try and get a couple of photos of this regular visitor to the flowers on our back deck.

I hope you enjoy looking as much as I did finally getting these shots.

1935611040_DSC_0030(2).thumb.JPG.f95af3b3991e746503af6313dfaf1324.JPG609701983_DSC_0031(2).thumb.JPG.ee015503746f4de188a534b200e40a4f.JPG404899823_DSC_0042(2).thumb.JPG.54c6aa3e912c3306309bde4e788d7699.JPG

38 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

regular visitor

nice,

such a special little creature, every night they survive is almost a miracle in itself, the distances they travel is astounding for their size. I highly recommend the Aspects HummZinger 12 Oz  Hummingbird Feeder, I have had one for 3 or 4 years now and the little guys come back every year, easy to clean too. they are so used to me now that they let me photograph them.

must clean and replace the food once a week minimum, more often when hot outside, use pipe cleaner on small holes, wash in sink, I don't use soap.

1. Mix 1 part sugar with 4 parts water (for example, 1 cup of sugar with 4 cups of water) until the sugar is dissolved (microwave, let cool in fridge).
  2. Do not add red dye
  3. Extra sugar water can be stored in a refrigerator

hb2 wet 22.jpg

Our neighbors on both sides have feeders, as we have had in the past. They just can't seem to stay away from that Blue Salvia however.

I will look into that feeder though...and thanks for the tip!!

19 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

Blue Salvia

thanks for the tip on the flower, we have some similar planted in our garden (the wifes dept.) but its a smaller flower then yours, we will have to get some like yours. had as many as 3 at a time buzzing around the yard, they kinda freak me out when close to my head (when sitting still sipping a cocktail on patio).

Lovely pictures, guys.

Way back, I was at a place called, "Atop Cold Mountain".  It was a yoga/martial arts camp in the middle of nowhere N.C.  They had dozens of hummingbird feeders on the from porch.  Every morning, there would be a hundred or so hummingbirds.  At the feeders, chasing each other, chittering and flitting through all the people sitting on the porch.  Sounded like a giant beehive.

The only downside ... you didn't have a cup of coffee or food, since there was a constant mist of hummingbird pee, also.  

28 minutes ago, mikechell said:

Lovely pictures

Thank you Mr Mike,

yeah, I seen vids of Texas when they arrive in spring by the 1000's, people with crazy hat and ring feeders, never thought about the shower tho ...eewww not in my coffee thanks.

16 hours ago, xterrabill said:

thanks for the tip on the flower, we have some similar planted in our garden (the wifes dept.) but its a smaller flower then yours, we will have to get some like yours. had as many as 3 at a time buzzing around the yard, they kinda freak me out when close to my head (when sitting still sipping a cocktail on patio).

Our neighbor has Blue Salvia around their mailbox, but the plant is much smaller than ours...dwarf variety maybe?? The one in the photo is 3 1/2 feet tall and about 4 feet in diameter. My wife bought one last year for the color and we were amazed at the response from the hummers to the plant. That flower is now a regular at our place. Like you we watch with pleasure during the cocktail hour.

4 hours ago, mikechell said:

Here's a very good, short documentary about Hummingbirds.

Very good Mike that was entertaining 

Great stuff mikechell...and I must admit my surprise at all of the replies to my simple photos caught on my deck on a sunny afternoon.