Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
indiglofish61@gmail.com

Going bigger on 3wt rod?

Just got back from practice on fly casting on a lake. So i had my 3wt 9ft out and best cast was like maybe 20 yds. But i figured im just begginig to learn. Anyway, i wanted to know if i could use maybe a 10 size fly or bug , without having to buy another rod? Just curious. 

20 yards.  60 feet.  That's about my maximum casting distance.  I'm usually only fishing out to about half that, but I can reach that far if I have to.

A fly tied on a size 10 hook should be no problem.  I am usually fishing flies on size 8 or 6 hooks because I don't need to go any smaller for the Sunnies and Bass I'm getting.  My favorite rod is a 5'6" 3 weight Steve built for me, and it got my size 6 "Panfish Attractor" on it all the time.

I'm not your typical fly angler.  Even though the rod is a 3 weight, I still use a few feet of 14# mono for the leader and about 10 to 18 inches of 10# test tippet.  I might ... MIGHT ... use 6# mono tippet if the water is REALLY clear ... but probably not. 

I like fighting a fish on a lighter rod ... it's more fun.  But I don't like letting a fish run for 15 minutes because I've got 2# test tippet material.  Hook 'em.  Fight 'em to the boat, not to exhaustion.  Let 'em go or eat them.  Fun incarnate.

I'm not fishing for trout.  I know they're somehow smarter than the average angler and require specialized equipment to catch.  I'm average, so I'm not on their level.  If you're trying to catch trout, disregard everything I've said and buy a $800.00 rod to throw those size 10 flies!

Thats also why i got a 3wt i was and still do at times use my ultralight spinning set up with 4lb test and a 4wt fly rod i built into a spinning rod wen i u used to build rods but know i buy em lol. My fly rod set up is certainly not a 300$ setup but i do have a 5x tippet and its really light line. Maybe one day I will be good enough to go somewhere and fish for trout. Thanks for the input now i dont feel so alone at being a beginner.lol. have a good time catchin.

If your worried sci angler 6wt set ups can be had cheap used they work great for larger hooks.   They also work great for a large variety of hook sizes.   I found mine at a “junque shop” for 18$.   Half hour of cleaning and new tippet, voila a great little rod.   Like mike said get them to the boat and let em go or take them home.   

Sometimes I'll throw a size 6 bucktail streamer on my three wt because it's what I have with me.. It has no problem with the hook, it's the fluff on the hook or weight if weighted that slows it down. Bucktails  I like to tie 8s or even 10s for it specifically though, nice trim profiled flies, not a lot of air drag and very effective. Muddlers too, blue gills and bass love Muddlers. I caught a 3lb bass gill fishing a couple different times with 3 wt and Muddlers. Size 10.

When I started, I had an 8 ft. fiberglass South Bend fly rod. It was a "D" weight which is about a 7 wt. now. Tossed anything from big cork poppers to small flies. Had to adjust my stoke for them but It was years before I got another rod.

On 8/18/2020 at 6:30 PM, [email protected] said:

so what size tippet and leader u use for size 6

How to calculate the size of tippet to use with a fly - the "Rule of 3"

Divide the hook size by 3 to determine the appropriate tippet diameter on the X scale

For example, use 6X tippet with a size 18 fly (18/3=6)

(Unfortunately there is no standard way of representing hook size. Sizes vary between hook manufacturers. )

Sometimes the X value is not printed on a spool of tippet material. In that case the diameter of the material will be printed on the spool.

6/3=2x= ~6-8#  for bass and panfish the leaders can be rather short which will help turn the rig over

On 8/18/2020 at 6:30 PM, [email protected] said:

would that be the same for my 9ft 3wt?

Tippets/leaders will be basically the same for most lines or rods but will vary with fly size and method used.

ps; the three thing is not a law, just a starting point,  some anglers like to use the largest tippet that go through the eye of the hook, in some cases this works well but in a few cases I like to use very small tippet to get less drag, you will develop methods as you learn,

On 8/18/2020 at 2:02 PM, [email protected] said:

Just got back from practice on fly casting on a lake. So i had my 3wt 9ft out and best cast was like maybe 20 yds. But i figured im just begginig to learn. Anyway, i wanted to know if i could use maybe a 10 size fly or bug , without having to buy another rod? Just curious. 

What brand and model is the fly rod?

On 8/18/2020 at 3:02 PM, [email protected] said:

i wanted to know if i could use maybe a 10 size fly or bug , without having to buy another rod?

all the math and equations and theoretical physics and laws are wonderful,  but just go out and do it.    Of course there will be a limit somewhere as to how massive (heavy) and / or air resistive a fly you can enjoyably cast, on any given rod and line system-   But the best way to learn YOUR system is to go out and do it.    Unless your rod has a manufacturing defect or is damaged, you won't break anything. 

I've been fishing a number 10 nymph/streamer/crayfish pattern with 1/8" lead eyes which add (allegedly) 1/80 ounce with my 3wt this summer and it is no problem.   Yes it is noticeably different than casting an unweighted pattern, but it is no problem.  

On 8/18/2020 at 3:02 PM, [email protected] said:

20 yard cast is respectable, IMHO. I never cast more than that. I always ponder when someone makes a long cast- How many fish are they casting over?