Fly Tying
haziz

Hungarian Partridge Sexism?

A Hungarian partridge feather wrapped around a hook 1 1/2 to 2 times for a soft hackled fly, most tyers couldn’t even tell the difference 

Well, then why pay $50 for the partridge if all you want is mottled brown?... 

image.png.9b827ad2a8deaaf3d1fac67bbb4981e3.png

Not really getting there with a female... Not that this is the only or even the "right" way to tie a wet, of course. It's just that I think that's the #1 reason why they're selling hun skins for $50 instead of tying with a $15 ringneck pheasant hen (or assorted other female pheasants)

image.png.dce6981d9355b27b5c756de5fd5c1b33.png

https://www.bearsden.com/product10216.html

1 hour ago, flytire said:

the original poster never posted a photo of what he received so we dont know what the hell he got

Yes. I probably care more than he does...

I think it can make a difference to fish sometimes too. I was recently fishing with a friend of mine and we were both fishing exactly the same fly ( I had tied them both) from a boat for rockfish.

He was using a fly he had fished the day before and it was a little dingier than the fresh one I had just tied on, not much but a little bit.

When the flies are fresh they are the brightest white you can imagine. His was water stained, some of the white had probably washed out of the feathers and there was probably some rust stain in there from having spent the night with salt water on it.

I was really putting him to shame by catching one fish after another and probably enjoying it a little too much. I could tell his fly wasn't quite as bright as mine but I kept quiet for just a little while. As near as we could tell our deliveries were the same, we were fishing the same depth from the same school of fish but he was only catching one to every three or four of mine.

After a little bit I told him to pull up so I could tie a new fly on for him. As soon as we did that, he started to connect just as much as I did.

3 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Yes. I probably care more than he does...

Yup I guess we both do 👍

By popular demand!

This is the partridge skin I received from Bearsden:

Cropped Partridge.jpg

Cropped Partridge 2.jpg

That one looks like a real good one to me. It's those breast and shoulder feathers we're after.

What say you guys?

29 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

That one looks like a real good one to me. It's those breast and shoulder feathers we're after.

What say you guys?

I'd buy it.

Kimo

Looks like it is a female, but I'm retracting what I said before. Plenty of great soft hackles on there, dark & light. 

+1 Keeper. Enjoy

+2 its a keeper

tie some flies from it and post them up 😀

looks like the hungarian partridge male skin i have

On 8/22/2020 at 11:20 AM, flytire said:

A Hungarian partridge feather wrapped around a hook 1 1/2 to 2 times for a soft hackled fly, most tyers couldn’t even tell the difference 

I absolutely agree. 

The old books, when specifying the feather to use for a partridge and orange are very specific about where on the bird the feather should come (middle of the back) but none of them specificy cock or hen.

Looks good to me. I'd sure use it. As Mark said, breast and shoulder feathers, neck feathers for small soft hackles.  The sky is the limit. You can also use the tail feathers for breadcrust nymphs instead of grouse, though I'll be the first to admit splitting and getting the pith out of the quill is a huge pain in the behind.  Pro tip, let 'em soak in water for at least a few hours.

16 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Looks like it is a female, but I'm retracting what I said before. Plenty of great soft hackles on there, dark & light. 

+1 Keeper. Enjoy

Just curious, what make you say it's a female? My guess would have been male.