Fly Tying

Does anyone fish with tube flies? saltwater?  what are your experiences - pros and cons. The ones I have tied do not seem to ride or achieve the depth without adding weight like Wards or Clouser style dumbbells or tungsten beads / weights in front of fly (loose sliding on the leader) hooks do not appear to keel the tube the way a hook tied fly rides. Although they seems superior for surface poppers in the salt. Trying not to invest in cones or disks without a few other opinions on tube flies as a whole.

I like them for Stripers... Bluefish, NOT so much...

Hooks held in place by a pliable junction tube perform well as a keel...

if/when they dislodge during the fight and ride up the tippet, they become an inconvenient target...

Google: Dual Tube Phlyz

tubez.jpg

HerringTubePhlyz.jpg

DualTube1.jpg

Used them off and on in freshwater... tube flies as well as a tube popper fly.  Here is a video playlist for reference.

I've messed around with tube flies a bit.   The only one I've used a lot was "Bob's Banger".  I'm sure he got the idea from off-shore trolling lures.  It's a simple fly.   Just a hole through the center of a foam cylinder, not that much different than the one in the video.  A lot of the time folks just use a buck tail teaser tied on a single hook behind it.    You can color the cylinder,  wrap it with reflective tape, add eyes if you want.  It's a cheap, easy fly to tie.  If you get bit off by a bluefish it doesn't hurt as much to lose.

This is one of my attempts at a tube fly.  It was a desperation one to tie up a large bunker fly for the spring run.  Overall, it was about 11 inches long.  I could only chuck and duck it with my 8 wgt.  I tried it a couple of times, eventually cannibalized the front half for the material, and turned the hook portion into a smaller bunker fly

Tube Fly Shad.jpg

Tube Shad Front and Back.jpg

I recovered some pictures of top water tube flies I tied up, mainly for bass.

Tube Chernobyl ant.jpg

Tube Sneaky Pete.jpg

Tube Spider Popper.jpg

Tube Spider.jpg

Never considered small tube flies these are big with wire thru cork/foam dressed in flash/ foil.   Although eyes are on them they rotate 360 just like the click popper bodies.    I guess you could tie in some kinda keel.   Streamer profiles may track true.