Fly Tying

1 hour ago, Sandan said:

(Pictures cut for brevity)

Bruce, I'm more a fan of STS rather than videos, but I'd be more than happy with whatever you're more comfortable with.  Question, when you say stacked wings do you mean married?

No, in this case you cut out your slips,

( you need right/left sides separated, so then u start with near side , stack the different slips , one on top of each other, making sure the darkest section is the top one. Then holding butt ends tightly, carefully brush out to the tips and they blend together , and sort of marry together but in random order 

41 minutes ago, Bruce Derington said:

No, in this case you cut out your slips,

( you need right/left sides separated, so then u start with near side , stack the different slips , one on top of each other, making sure the darkest section is the top one. Then holding butt ends tightly, carefully brush out to the tips and they blend together , and sort of marry together but in random order 

Thank you. "sort of marry together but in random order", so if I get this 2 flys with the same stacking order can have different wings?  If that's so, I'd think the a single fly could end up that way too, but the tier would have to ensure that didn't happen.  I'm really interested in this so I hope my questions aren't too "stupid".

Forgive me for hijacking your thread, Bruce. But Sandan, here is a picture of what I believe Bruce is talking about. This is a fly tied by me that is a William Blacker pattern. The stacked wing is also known as a mixed wing. As Bruce said, the slips are stacked on top of eachother (the wide way, rather than edge to edge) and brushed together so each fiber kind of separates and stays where is lands. So you are correct, the wings will vary from fly to fly and even from each side of the same fly.

EDIT: Sorry Bruce, I see you already posted pictures as an example. I'll sit back down in the corner now...

2021096295_BlackerforBannNo.1.thumb.JPG.a13ece82fe330672692aef17da23e95f.JPG

20 hours ago, Bruce Derington said:

26 minutes ago, flykid said:

As Bruce said, the slips are stacked on top of each other (the wide way, rather than edge to edge) and brushed together so each fiber kind of separates and stays where is lands. So you are correct, the wings will vary from fly to fly and even from each side of the same fly.

Thank you both for this explanation.  This is new to me, and I like the idea of combining, or stacking/mixing, wings like this.  So after the wings are stacked and 'married', would you tie them in as you typically tie wings for a winged wet?  

Despite the fact I've never worked on them...I do like those mixed wings. Nicely done flykid.

On 8/27/2020 at 6:01 AM, flykid said:

Forgive me for hijacking your thread, Bruce. But Sandan, here is a picture of what I believe Bruce is talking about. This is a fly tied by me that is a William Blacker pattern. The stacked wing is also known as a mixed wing. As Bruce said, the slips are stacked on top of eachother (the wide way, rather than edge to edge) and brushed together so each fiber kind of separates and stays where is lands. So you are correct, the wings will vary from fly to fly and even from each side of the same fly.

EDIT: Sorry Bruce, I see you already posted pictures as an example. I'll sit back down in the corner now...

(Pic cut for brevity). Bold mine. Now it makes sense. I was thinking like married wings the stacking was edge to edge. Thanks flykid. And nice picture for an example.

On 8/27/2020 at 6:34 AM, niveker said:

Thank you both for this explanation.  This is new to me, and I like the idea of combining, or stacking/mixing, wings like this.  So after the wings are stacked and 'married', would you tie them in as you typically tie wings for a winged wet?  

This is what I'm thinking is the difference, stacked is done the wide way(feathers horizontal), married are done edge to edge(feathers vertical). 

On 8/27/2020 at 8:34 AM, niveker said:

There may be other methods described in other old texts, but the way it is described by Blacker is you stack your slips for each half of the wing (far side and near side) then you tie in the stack for the far side, secure it, then the stack for the near side. Then you can run the wing between your fingers and get the fibers to "mix" together. So, the mixing isn't really happening until it's on the hook and the slips are tied in independently rather than at once like you would for a winged wet. Happy to help clarify!

I mix my slips b4 tying in. I’ m finally working on a step by step, should have something later tonight. I use goose shoulder for larger hooks and schalppen on size 8 and smaller, which will be what I’m working on for the step by step, sorry for the slow progress , hopefully you will see a different way to approach tying in wings and throat 

I tied this up using Schlappen, (5) colors. Developed by Poul Jorgensen.4872AAAC-20D6-4A78-812B-67DDED4B74CB.thumb.jpeg.3de23ce6eec0b92a4f6bce28fa897df1.jpeg

Hook: size 8 TMC7989 or Daiichi 2441

Tag: fine/small oval gold tinsel

Body: orange SLF/ Seal substitution

Throat: Blue eared pheasant and guinea

Underwing: SLF Hanks/ Bear

Main Wing: Schlappen, (5) colors

Shoulder: Wood duck

Cut out ‘wish bone’ slips that are on the leftAFF85347-221C-43FC-AA19-DDD31DEE093A.thumb.jpeg.22c9292db7e6b14e9f86d7a9e6e6b08b.jpeg

then stack one on top of the other, making sure the darkest is on top9B12243B-4E92-4E46-847D-68DBCE49E71B.thumb.jpeg.155156241957f9f247ac2a5dcad75605.jpeg
Then slowly brush out F9718B25-EEF6-450C-A435-D77076C4E56B.thumb.jpeg.347b7ebd50584eb5fe1fb3ef14af321c.jpeg
Then work the feathers to look like this, always holding the butt ends4E8FC8BB-0F7B-4280-86FF-9AE29198AFD8.thumb.jpeg.1f391270597fa602a08d189fa9b8cb16.jpeg
then positioning the Schlappen on either side and carefully keeping near side slips directly parallel to the underside, sort of fold over far side and tie in 73E7CB5F-FC4A-464A-A531-6F6600173FFE.thumb.jpeg.f0fc23ce7546e2afbd39e62db3726cef.jpeg

Then add Wood duck shoulders. 
I will try and capture with video the “setting” of the throat, and wings if there is an interest. The throat hackle isn’t wrapped, but “wishboned”, ( as seen in lower right slip photo) and tied in  similar to setting the wings.

On larger hooks we use goose shoulder or our scrap turkey wing material that’s too small for the bigger Classics 

What a cool way to tie a "mixed wing" Bruce. When the current project in the vise is done I'll have to give this a go.

Thanks for posting this one !!!!!!

Alright Bruce, I'm your first victim. This was a lot of fun to tie. Thanks for your tutorial. Size 8 Edgar Sealey Standard Salmon Hook, Red Uni 6/0, small gold oval tinsel, coarse orange dubbing, blue eared pheasant & guinea combed for throat, black bear hair underwing, green, fuscia, blue, and purple goose shoulder, and turkey tail combed for main wing, and amherst pheasant tippet shoulders. (Had to sub)

1596017024_BruceSBSSide2.thumb.jpg.92a8fe3ecc7ad91e2b17fddd6212af8f.jpg

1534859686_BruceSBSBack1.thumb.jpg.798b8ff6369581cc467a5c9b2f7b7ef6.jpg

607075515_BruceSBSFront2.thumb.jpg.d339ca0a6b11066fe962e570b4ca8719.jpg

1635321337_BruceSBSTop1.thumb.jpg.bc77318243d540521808244a0f239fb1.jpg

997452234_BruceSBSBottom1.thumb.jpg.1cb9bc60ba02d3d0fd84204ec5950270.jpg