Fly Tying

4 hours ago, Sandan said:

I hope I wasn't too harsh. I was only passing along some of the gems I received from a long list of mentors, fellow tyers and teachers. At first I was a little put off by some of what was said, but as I progressed and got to know these folks I realized they truly cared about the flies and my tying of them. That is always behind whatever I may say...the desire to steer someone along  what is hopefully the correct path in fly tying.

I have been very fortunate to learn from some of the best...and I definitely try to pay it forward!!

George

1 hour ago, SalarMan said:

I hope I wasn't too harsh. I was only passing along some of the gems I received from a long list of mentors, fellow tyers and teachers. At first I was a little put off by some of what was said, but as I progressed and got to know these folks I realized they truly cared about the flies and my tying of them. That is always behind whatever I may say...the desire to steer someone along  what is hopefully the correct path in fly tying.

I have been very fortunate to learn from some of the best...and I definitely try to pay it forward!!

George

George,

You weren't too harsh by any stretch of the imagination.  I took your criticism and comments in the spirit in which it was given, "the desire to steer someone along  what is hopefully the correct path in fly tying."  I realized that before you put it into words.  I wear my big boy pants, I can take it. I've heard "No" before.   I appreciate yourt straightforward and above all honest assessments and criticism.

Michael

An attempt at a Dee style salmon fly. Trying to incorporate SalarMan's advice. Again, comments/criticism requested. 

PHOTO_20200910_194924.jpg

PHOTO_20200910_194907.jpg

PHOTO_20200910_194917.jpg

I like seeing new guys sink their teeth into these. This is good effort and it looks like your on the right track, setting wings are challenging and you got them setting nicely.
Yeah it’s fun playing with material, from learning how the rachis of a feather responds when “tying” in, to how to properly marry simple wings, it’s a challenge that you learn to master with time and Quality material. 

On 9/12/2020 at 6:11 PM, Bruce Derington said:

I like seeing new guys sink their teeth into these. This is good effort and it looks like your on the right track, setting wings are challenging and you got them setting nicely.
Yeah it’s fun playing with material, from learning how the rachis of a feather responds when “tying” in, to how to properly marry simple wings, it’s a challenge that you learn to master with time and Quality material. 

Thanks Bruce. I'm have fun with these.  IT's all a work in progress and so far I'm enjoying the journey. Mastery is, to me, a goal that's gong to take a looong time to achieve. Not complaining at all, just stating fact. 

7 minutes ago, Sandan said:

Thanks Bruce. I'm have fun with these.  IT's all a work in progress and so far I'm enjoying the journey. Mastery is, to me, a goal that's gong to take a looong time to achieve. Not complaining at all, just stating fact. 

I don't know where you live, but something else you may want to consider Sandan is finding a local mentor/teacher.

If you have a tying club near you there may be members who tie these flies. If so, they may be willing to mentor you and guide you through the process. Out of the 150 +or- members of my tying club I have 2 guys I am working with. We were together yesterday and spent several hours doing the gut eye, tip,tag, tail, veil, butt, underbody, finished body (2 segments), rib, hackle and throat. That was it for the 3 hour session. We will pick up where we left off next time and go to work beginning with the underwing.

If there isn't a club nearby perhaps a local fly shop would be able to connect you with someone.

It has been my experience that there is nothing like one on one time to learn the ins and outs of this stuff.

2 hours ago, SalarMan said:

I don't know where you live, but something else you may want to consider Sandan is finding a local mentor/teacher.

If you have a tying club near you there may be members who tie these flies. If so, they may be willing to mentor you and guide you through the process. Out of the 150 +or- members of my tying club I have 2 guys I am working with. We were together yesterday and spent several hours doing the gut eye, tip,tag, tail, veil, butt, underbody, finished body (2 segments), rib, hackle and throat. That was it for the 3 hour session. We will pick up where we left off next time and go to work beginning with the underwing.

If there isn't a club nearby perhaps a local fly shop would be able to connect you with someone.

It has been my experience that there is nothing like one on one time to learn the ins and outs of this stuff.

Again, appreciated. I'm in the Denver area. I'll start checking for clubs, and I'm buddies with a few guys in my local shops so I'll ask there also. I agree you can't beat one on one.