Fly Tying
Moshup

Influential fly tyer past or present !

Can you give us a name for your favorite tyer past or present who had a good influence on your tying ? I found Hans Weilenman to be a very good teacher on the economy of the wrap.  Though I haven’t studied Rube Cross much I have to say that I think he was the best tyer to come out of the Catskill circle of legends. And you ?

Hans would be in my top 3.  He taught me how to tie the CDC and Elk and introduced me to CDC.  Tony Spezio who showed me how to use a  half of razor blade to trim deer hair and how to break a straight razor blade in half.  The lesson must have taken, I still have all my fingers.  Also introduced me to the White River Demon and the Chili Pepper, and Tony's Froggie and took the time to show me how to tie them.  Harrison Steeves  who showed me what could be done with foam and taught me to think outside the box when tying with foam and learn how to make my own loco foam.  Not related to fly tying but to fly fishing in general, Silver Creek,  I've never met him, but I've known him for a long time his FAQS taught me a lot about fly fishing when I was first getting started, and his posts on this and other boards are always educational.

As a fly tying newbie, I feel a little presumptuous in assessing "influence", however the following tyers have been helpful and instructive to this fly tying newbie:

1. Tim Flagler - His excellent videos and instruction are certainly welcome.

2. Tom Rosenbauer - By covering both fly tying and fly fishing, and with the backing of Orvis, he does influence many newbie fly fishers and fly tyers, even if he is not known primarily as a tyer.

3. Charlie Craven - His books are easy to follow and very instructive.

4. Dan Trela - A local fly tying guru, who's demonstrations at the two fly fishing groups I belong to, and helpfulness have certainly left their mark.

5. Harry Darbee - Certainly an influential tyer, together with his wife, Elsie, but in addition his rooster/hen selective breeding started the entire "genetic" hackle breeding trend, continued and perfected by Miner, Hebert, Whiting, Collins etc. Practically every breeder today traces his flock's origins, either directly or indirectly, to Harry Darbee. His generosity with his breeding line/eggs has influenced and helped many.

Pat Cohen.  Although I still haven't been able to stack deer hair,  his "Punk Rockers" (which are fantastic) are why I try to.

Kimo.  His Scuds are as much works of art as Pat's Punk Rockers are.

Richmc.  His "Satin" minnows are a favorite pattern for clear water.

Dron Lee.  Just ... wow!  The things he ties with non-standard materials are mind blowing.

@haziz 

As a newbie how is it that you post a well informed No. 5 ?

Charlie Malley - S&M Fly Tying, helped me transition from a jig / bucktail tier to a fly tier, taught me about materials, grading and choosing to get the most for my money

Dave Goulet - Classic & Custom Fly shop always had time to talk while he tied (commercially) and explain and show why and how. Just a great mentor to a lot of tiers.

Bryant Freeman - Eskape Anglers A true gentleman of the fly fishing sport, great mentor for everything from dying materials, classic salmon materials & substitutes to making sauerkraut

Dave Brandt - Met Dave at the Fly Fishing Shows and Tying Symposium he taught at the Wulff school and was a former Labrador guide helped me tying Catskill style flies and correct my sloppy casting, another true gentleman of the sport 

There are others and today online the list grows, in this forum I have developed skills and thoughts watching and reading. I feel lucky and blessed to have met people in my life that shared their time directly or indirectly (online) to help with my addiction to the vise and the long rod.  

Mcfly has influenced me through his posts on this forum and his YouTube channel. 

Barry Ord Clarke when i need some inspiration i watch one of his fine videos.

Of course Tim Flagler great great videos 

Tim Barker (@planettrout) - I followed his blog religiously while re-learning. He's got a great approach to fly tying, and to life generally. I'd bet nobody has more fun filling, fishing, and sharing a fly box than him. A gift to watch him do it. Inspired me to go beyond the bare necessities. 

Davie McPhail and Oliver Edwards are my top 2.  Barry Ord Clarke and Tim Flager are also at the top of my list.

Tim Flagler's and Tom Rosenbauer's videos.  And, I just started with Barry Ord Clarke and Oliver Edwards.  I must say I've been reading Art Flick's books (original and New Streamside Guide) and found them very interesting. I'm working my way through the Catskill styles (Mike Valla's book).  And, Ian Anderson, the fly tying instructor at my local fly shop.  Someone mentioned Hans Weilenman, Davy McPhail and I would add Jean Pettijean for CDC...

Beyond the question but, for casting the Winston company Joan Wulff videos https://winstonrods.com/videos/instructional-videos/ and Orvis' Learn to Fly Fish https://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/

When I was just getting started as a kid in the early 1970's it was Reuben Cross.  During the 2000's it was Oliver Edwards and Dave Brandt.  From 2010 on it was mostly Dave Brandt and Del Mazza.  I prefer the traditional patterns, materials and methods.

Charlie Craven for his technique and thought processes. Art Flick for his elegance and sparing use of materials.  Being brought up fishing the Catskill region, Schoharie Creek, the Esopus,etc. Art Flick was a huge influence.  

The two guys from In the Riffle, Davie McPhail, Tim Flagler, Jim Misiura, Leeson and Schollmeyer, and lately Barry Ord Clarke.

Edit to add: Gary at Feathercraft who taught me to tie flies.