Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chris_in_Louisiana

Fluff Butt/Crappie Jig SBS

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share a recent step-by-step I put together.  The cajuns refer to these as "Fluff Butts," but I've always known them as crappie jigs even when tied as flies.

Any input would be appreciated as I'm trying to make these as useful as possible for anyone that stumbles across them on the web.

https://fatfingeredflytyer.com/the-fluff-butt-a-simple-crappie-jig-step-by-step-tying-series/

Thanks

Chris

I have two alpaca farms nearby and have used the loose wool for the body material.  Yes this is a tied and true pattern!  The one in Marathon NY sells bags of this stuff in various natural and dyed colors for crafters.  I always kook for the most diverse mixed colored bags because a little of this stuff goes a long way!

Thank you guys.  And I appreciate the suggestions.  Alpaca especially sounds like a great body material.

I was late getting around to it this year, but plan on targeting crappie quite a bit more during the cooler months next year and will give all of these recommendations a try.

Thanks again.

Chris

On 8/26/2020 at 11:52 AM, Chris_in_Louisiana said:

Thank you guys.  And I appreciate the suggestions.  Alpaca especially sounds like a great body material.

I was late getting around to it this year, but plan on targeting crappie quite a bit more during the cooler months next year and will give all of these recommendations a try.

Thanks again.

Chris

Chris, I can include some to you during the swap if you'd like.  Got plenty to share - let me know.

10 hours ago, WWKimba said:

Chris, I can include some to you during the swap if you'd like.  Got plenty to share - let me know.

Thank would be great.  Thank you so much.

Chris

2 hours ago, Chris_in_Louisiana said:

Thank would be great.  Thank you so much.

Chris

No problem!

On 8/24/2020 at 5:39 PM, Chris_in_Louisiana said:

Thanks skeet.  I appreciate you taking the time to read.

Chris

Used to live in Louisiana. Definitely a sportsman's Paradise- freshwater, saltwater, waterfowl, big game, small game and crawfish boils! Laissez bon temps roulez!

I noticed you tied in different color combinations. A fly box with a couple of dozen would cover a lot of species.

5 hours ago, skeet3t said:

Used to live in Louisiana. Definitely a sportsman's Paradise- freshwater, saltwater, waterfowl, big game, small game and crawfish boils! Laissez bon temps roulez!

I noticed you tied in different color combinations. A fly box with a couple of dozen would cover a lot of species.

I've been here a little over a decade at this point.  One thing I can say for the state is there is never a lack of outdoor opportunities.  That and no snow (most of the time).

Alpaca good for dubbing but too silky for long tails/ bodies.   Balls up and tangles in bout anything.  Tried it, nadda....Shucks marabou would be better.   Good luck.

14A927C4-70CB-4DE8-AE1C-C4BD15EF4822.jpeg