Fly Tying
WWKimba

Beginner/Intermediate Tyer - Fly Swap #1 - Streamers - CLOSED AND ENDED

I would consider myself intermediate, started back tying three years ago, started at age 12 and took a 20 year break and found interest again after I acquired better equipment and materials 

On 8/22/2020 at 7:28 PM, BHouk said:

Thanks, WW.  I'll tie a Fatal Attraction.  It's a pumpkin seed good for bass http://www.flyfishohio.com/fatal_attraction_baby_pumpkinseed.htm  May work for salmon...

I'm assuming 10 is the count for the number of flies, correct?

Sounds good - one of my favorite type of patterns too!  And I learned this particular pattern from this particular site a few years ago myself!  What do they say about great minds!?!

On 8/22/2020 at 8:34 PM, stabgnid said:

I have 5yrs tying is that intermediate?

Steve-stabgnid

I look at style, quality and knowledge more than years as the defining factors.  i have seen quite a few of your contributions to this site and have been duly impressed.  Love to have you join in this swap.  Consider yourself in unless I hear otherwise.  How's that sound?

On 8/22/2020 at 3:30 PM, flytire said:

I was just having a little fun with you😀

please keep it open for new tyers

ill join other swaps later

And I WASN'T kidding about tying my shoes! :)  If you were only a Yankee fan...!

On 8/22/2020 at 9:39 PM, Chris_in_Louisiana said:

I'm interested if I meet the qualifications.  I'd qualify myself as intermediate.  Learned to tie (poorly) as a child, but only got back into it about two years ago.  Not sure what I'd tie yet, but I can come up with a few options.

Chris

You are in and maybe we can help you to polish up your style a bit.  Sound good?  You are in and welcome!

Let me know what you decide on for a pattern and I'll add it to the post.  Thanks!

On 8/22/2020 at 3:21 AM, vicrider said:

Are you holding off for awhile before you let guys tying for many years but still intermediate? That's fine to try to get some guys in. Put an ad on the Beginner forum section and see if you can get some new blood into our swaps.

Nick

Sorry!  I saw your suggestion about the ad in the Beginner Forum and glossed right over your question about the Intermediates! Guess I didn't hold up MY end of the "greatest minds"!  Well anybody who knows me WOULDN'T be surprised about that part!

I'm NOT defining "intermediate" as years experience but more as knowledge, style, confidence...  I guess it goes back to something I learned when my hair wasn't grey and my forehead wasn't as long as it is now - "Practice doesn't make perfect.  PERFECT practice makes perfect!"

On 8/23/2020 at 12:16 AM, Johnw1986 said:

I would consider myself intermediate, started back tying three years ago, started at age 12 and took a 20 year break and found interest again after I acquired better equipment and materials 

You are still in and welcome either way John!

On 8/22/2020 at 3:21 AM, vicrider said:

Are you holding off for awhile before you let guys tying for many years but still intermediate? That's fine to try to get some guys in. Put an ad on the Beginner forum section and see if you can get some new blood into our swaps.

Nick

Also, if it's not bending the rules to the point we need some glue top put them back together - I was thinking of an option, if the sign-up was too great, to run this as two flights - one beginner and one intermediate.  You and I both know from experience that these swaps can go as well as sliced bread or as poorly as passing gas in church.

Would this be a viable option under this sites rules (i'e. - running multiple swaps at the same time.)  Let me know - I do have the experience to do this well but I am also strongly committed to working with-in this sites rules and framework.  I have absolutely no problem with either decision that is made.

This being my first hosting on this site I'll probably be keeping in touch with you to keep ALL things smooth as can be expected.

2 hours ago, bowsbrownsnbrookies said:

Do saltwater clouser-style patterns for striper work the swap? My first time here, so I don't know much :)

I did NOT specify fresh or salt water patterns.  Let me know what you'd like to tie and I'll be happy to add you to the swap.  As far as not knowing much - it's nice we have something in common! :)

I doubt you'll get the amount of people you need to divide the swap up but if you do and can handle it I'll go along with a very slight bend of rules. More likely you'll have to let a few regulars in to fill it out. I hope it works for you. We do not have a limit on amount in swaps by the rules but anything over 12 starts to get cumbersome for many. both tiers and SM. 

Nick

So if the participants are 6 to 10, does this mean that each ties 6-10 of each pattern?

I have been fly fishing for 3 years and fly tying, intermittently, for 2, so definitely a beginner.

Count me in for the good old fashioned Woolly Bugger. If you can call a 53 year old pattern "old fashioned". Hey, that is a few months younger than me!

I will join if you have an open spot.  I will hold off until we see if any new guys join, first.  I would tie a Carey Special.  I consider myself intermediate.

On 8/28/2020 at 2:28 AM, vicrider said:

I doubt you'll get the amount of people you need to divide the swap up but if you do and can handle it I'll go along with a very slight bend of rules. More likely you'll have to let a few regulars in to fill it out. I hope it works for you. We do not have a limit on amount in swaps by the rules but anything over 12 starts to get cumbersome for many. both tiers and SM. 

Nick

I know that from experience!  Ran a 'New School/Nu Skul Swap one time where swappers needed to tie 2 versions of the same pattern (either take an old classic and redesign with the newer materials available or tie a new pattern as if you were tying it in the 20's-30's).  Had 7 tiers and glad I didn't get more!

Congratulations to our three newest swappers - bowsbrownsbrookies, haziz and DarrellP are all in and this swap is now officially a GO!  Final numbers are not set yet as we still have some openings but we made our 6 minimum.