Fly Tying
flytire

Utah Killer Bug

1. Love the music.
  2. Love the video ... except.  The only thing I don't like about being that close is the lack of what's happening just off screen.  In this case, how you did the half hitches.  I know how to do them, but a new tier, watching this video, won't understand what you're doing to secure the thread.
  3. In my opinion ... don't leave the recipe up any longer than you did.  It's EASY to pause the video to see it longer ... more of a PITA to fast forward.
  4. Keep making them.  Voice overs aren't needed.  But if there is something you think needs explaining (when you get to more complicated flies) you can always insert another "title" page with the info printed out on it.

1 hour ago, flytire said:

omg! a few dubbing fibers. right now its a non issue

giphy-downsized.gif

Just a suggestion 🤷‍♂️

Bravo Mr.

Several things I like about the video are;

The tiers perspective.

I like that you didn't edit our the loop slip of the yarn, it showed how easily you fixed it.

You did the video on a fly you know and tie well instead of one you are tying for the first time or maybe the second.

I didn't mind the music but I think a voice over with your personality would be better. That's one thing you can't bring to your videos that no one else can.

I liked your organization.

I liked the brevity of the video but a little more time wouldn't be bad.

I think you should add your name and your web site to the video just in case someone didn't find the video through your web site . (Kind of like we didn't) Also if someone searched "Utah Killer Bug" they would get your video on you tube but have no idea that you had a web site or how to find more stuff by you.

Thank you very much, I liked it.

2 hours ago, flytire said:

I use a renzetti traveler cam jaws

adding additional audio will require me to buy a microphone. I don’t know what to buy

i probably will do more videos in the future

its a major learning process for an old dog

with all the videos out there I’m not sure I have a lot to offer

I believe movie maker has a function called Record Narration. Or you can use the the windows sound recorder. If you have a laptop you likely have a built in microphone that should work. 

If you can use Zoom or Skype then you have a microphone in your system. Built in Microphones work for voice over work. 

If you do not have a built in microphone I would be glad to help you identify what would work for you with your system. 

And GOOD JOB!  Your video is great!

@Pbass

i did this video on my desktop computer and while it has a microphone input in the back, i have no microphone 

yes the version of movie maker i have does have the "Record Narration" feature

i do have a laptop but all of my files are on my desktop computer. i work better on my desktop

microphone recommendation is welcomed but i'm not willing to spend $$$$ ($50-75 is my limit for this project)

i dont know how far i'm willing to take this video making project

Here are a couple USB microphones from $25 to $35 on amazon. lots of good reviews. I would think these would work. But I totally understand not wanting to invest in an unknown. 

1885274407_ScreenShot2020-08-23at12_48_49PM.thumb.png.4c838448396f418018d3e380106aaf39.png

1868024049_ScreenShot2020-08-23at12_48_36PM.thumb.png.d6677e85d0a8fe07f55ed4191176f3b1.png

Well done!

For audio, you might consider a headset instead of just a microphone. I have a cheap wireless one I use at work. I think it was about $40 and works well. Wired ones are cheaper.

Excellent first video! I wish I could be brutal but I can't. 

PROS

I like the tiers perspective

I like the short intro. Nothing worse then a minute long intro complete with babbling brooks and egrets.

The length of the video was perfect.

clean background with nothing to distract from the fly tying

CONS

yarn, hook, thread is not a materials list. If I never tied the Utah killer bug I would want to know the range of hooks, the size of thread and the type of yarn.

Not really a con but i think you would have a lot to offer with voice. I've never heard your voice but I would be interested in hearing your years of experience. At least I think I would because I think you would be brief and to the point and not ramble on forever like Kelly gallop. 

Norm,

great job. Your speed was perfect to deliver information effectively. Lots of videos turn into a sprint to see how fast they can tie in and wrap materials, etc. I would watch more. Go Red Sox!!

Nice video!

Not having one of those fancy half-hitch tools it was nice to see first hand and up close, exactly how it is supposed to be used.  Nice demonstration of all of the details shown.  Music was fine, but I think I'd prefer to listen to someone "speaking to me", if only to mention things that may seem obvious (from the video). 

Bill

14 hours ago, Mogup said:

Nice video !   Vise needs a little dusting .

squatch will polish it up if and when i make another video 

giphy-downsized.gif

4 hours ago, flytire said:

squatch will polish it up if and when i make another video 

giphy-downsized.gif

All he'd have to do is brush against it to clean it, but it seem like it would be a little like a bull in a china shop. I don't know, maybe he's nimble.