Fly Tying
flytire

Utah Killer Bug

i'm sure with a little searching on the iternet you should find the history of the "utah killer bug" or why it was name that way

Here is a post about the Utah Killer Bug Challenge. The yarn used is Jamieson’s Shetland Spindrift Oyster 290.

https://www.tenkarabum.com/utah-killer-bug-challenge.html

If you are interested in the Original Killer bug, read on.

The original Sawyer's Killer Bug was tied with Chadwick's 477, a yarn that has not been available for years. the yarn used of the Utah Killer Bug has been often called a close match but it really isn't.

A friend found the ultimate match to the Chadwick's 477 which is Berroco Ultra Alpaca Fine, color #1214 ("Steel Cut Oats"), dye lot #2J9711. Unfortunately that is is also no longer available, but while it was, I was able to buy some. I was tying next to him at a Badger Fly Fisher's Spring Opener years ago when he showed me the yarn.

The photos below are from his post above

Three of the flies below are tied with Chadwick's 447 and 3 with Berroco Ultra Alpaca Fine, color #1214. The flies are wet and represent what the fish would see as the color and texture of the killer bug flies.

fwXvu6s.jpg

Close-up views of Killer Bugs, both  dry:

bUntEVi.jpg

rJKmboo.jpg

Here is his original post on the classic rod forum.

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=85951

On 9/3/2020 at 3:15 PM, SilverCreek said:

Here is a post about the Utah Killer Bug Challenge. The yarn used is Jamieson’s Shetland Spindrift Oyster 290.

https://www.tenkarabum.com/utah-killer-bug-challenge.html

If you are interested in the Original Killer bug, read on.

The original Sawyer's Killer Bug was tied with Chadwick's 477, a yarn that has not been available for years. the yarn used of the Utah Killer Bug has been often called a close match but it really isn't.

A friend found the ultimate match to the Chadwick's 477 which is Berroco Ultra Alpaca Fine, color #1214 ("Steel Cut Oats"), dye lot #2J9711. Unfortunately that is is also no longer available, but while it was, I was able to buy some. I was tying next to him at a Badger Fly Fisher's Spring Opener years ago when he showed me the yarn.

The photos below are from his post above

Three of the flies below are tied with Chadwick's 447 and 3 with Berroco Ultra Alpaca Fine, color #1214. The flies are wet and represent what the fish would see as the color and texture of the killer bug flies.

fwXvu6s.jpg

Close-up views of Killer Bugs, both  dry:

bUntEVi.jpg

rJKmboo.jpg

Here is his original post on the classic rod forum.

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=85951

Check here - https://www.jsflyfishing.com/semperfli-chadwick-477-substitute-yarn.  Can't hurt!

I read that Chadwick's original was grey with a slight pinkish undertone.  Nice homage to some of the history of this Sawyer pattern.  And I still say "if only you were a Yankee fan!". :) 

1 hour ago, WWKimba said:

Thanks for the link but that yarn is the wrong color and looks to be thicker. The thickness of the yarn strands is important because the copper underwire of the killer bug can be seen through the thin strands yarn when the fly is wet IF the yarn is natural wool. If the yarn is synthetic, the copper tones do not show through the wet yarn.

Before I started reading about attempts to match Chadwicks 447, I thought all that had to be matched was the yarn color but that is not so. The material must also be wool and about the right diameter as well.

Here's the real Chadwick 447 with 3 feis tied with the real stuff and 3 tied with the Berroco Ultra Alpaca Fine, color #1214 ("Steel Cut Oats"), dye lot #2J9711.

0r7bsOO.jpg.7ac8fcd5e83c78c06fb88575853f6731.jpg

Here's the yarn that J Stockard is selling as a match to Chadwick 447.  It is too dark, too grey, and not mottled like the real yarn. You will note that the real Chadwick is a mix of different shades of tan, which results in the mottled appearance of the tied killer bugs above. I don't know if that matters to the fish, but the yarn below is not a match as J Stockard advertises.

1680656499_ScreenShot2020-09-07at9_55_11AM.thumb.png.53308cb71eb2366a03b6b70e6b3f57c7.png