Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

My fly tying bench for the day.

My wife took an elderly lady we know down to a river she loves to visit to give the lady a chance to get out. It's an all day trip so I'm watching the store today. I've moved some of the necessary stuff downstairs to the sales counter so I can tie while I watch the store.

With any luck at all, I'll have 7 or 8 uninterrupted hours of fly tying. Still working on the sparkle duns. Maybe by the end of the day I'll have them down. They normally call for deer hair but I'm going to try some with caribou hair too, see how that works.

DSCF5640-XL.jpg

DSCF5638-XL.jpg

DSCF5635-XL.jpg

From purely a business standpoint I hope you didn't have 7 or 8 hours of uninterrupted tying. 

I'm learning a lot so far. It took my trying four different patches of deer hair to find one that compresses and flairs right for size 12 and 14 hooks.

I also found that caribou compresses and flairs a lot more than deer hair (something I already knew but this reinforces it) caribou is also a lot more brittle than deer hair so it's probably not a good choice for a fly you want to fish a long time. It may be a good choice for flies in rougher water, it's more buoyant than deer and should float longer.

11 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

From purely a business standpoint I hope you didn't have 7 or 8 hours of uninterrupted tying. 

So far I've had 5 customers and answered the phone a couple of times. Still three hours to go. Sunday is normally a slow day but we open anyway because you never know who might come in. Our best customer ever came in on a Sunday, and he's been a steady customer ever since.

Thank you, from a business stand point.

23 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

trying four different patches of deer hair to find one that compresses and flairs right for size 12 and 14 hooks.

Might want to call that time "research and development"...

17 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

Might want to call that time "research and development"...

Yeah, a really big part of it is knowing what good is. After four patches, I know what "good" is and what it aint.

That's a fine batch right there! Nice work! I hope your elderly friend had a good day at the river. Very kind of your wife to take her. 

1 hour ago, jamieofthenorth said:

That's a fine batch right there! Nice work! I hope your elderly friend had a good day at the river. Very kind of your wife to take her. 

Actually, they really did. For the first day all summer it didn't rain at all. They had a great time. And now... it's raining again.

Thanks everybody. I even had a few customers in the store, sold one of the knives we keep in stock and a few other things so, a good day all round.

17 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Best day ever!, (Watching the store)

DSCF5643-XL.jpg

Glad I'm not a commercial tier.

I'm with you Mark.  I enjoy tying a lot but if I had to do it 8 hours a day 5 or 6 days per week-   Nice flies you tied there!