Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

So sick of inconsiderate people

1 hour ago, Steeldrifter said:

Now a days with the internet people just take 10 seconds to type out a personal message to someone and hit send, so the personal interaction/accountability just isn't the same.

So (thinking in terms of the workplace),  the "abuse of power" trickles down faster...  : )

I was selling something about a year ago on Craigslist. Back and forth over a few emails with plenty of pictures and questions, we agree on a price and a meeting place. I drive 45 minutes to "meet in the middle", the guy starts to look it over, and starts in on the "Well, it's not quite what I thought, it has a scratch here, it looked different in the pictures, yadda yadda yadda. Would you take less?" I simply took it back, didn't say a word, got in my truck, and drove away. I could hear him as I was getting in the truck saying, "Hey man, that's just part of the game! Come on, we can still make a deal!". Nope, no games, you're just wasting my time. As I drove away, I could see him in my mirror with his mouth hanging open, just a stunned look on his face. 

Another guy, same sort of situation. I agreed to meet him partway. He texted, "I'm leaving home now." I drove 30 minutes to our agreed upon meeting location, only to never hear from him again. I sent him a couple texts, and actually tried calling him. Of course, no answers. 

So now, if I'm selling something, you come to me. That way, when you change your mind, or decide to play games, I'm not out anything.

People are idiots. 

Yep. I've had a few people ask me to meet them in mid way or something of that nature. I always tell them... "do you ask the grocery store to meet you mid way with your groceries?....Then don't ask me to go out of my way just because you don't want to drive a certain distance". I've just never understood that. If someone is interested in something that is a distance away, then that's because it's either something they can't find from a local seller, or they can find it but the price is much higher. In either case the burden of travel is on them as the buyer, not the seller.

That's the way it is now, for sure.

I tried to be nice, and reach a compromise to help somebody out.

The first time, I took it as a one time occurrence. The second time? Nope, I'm done. 

I should say that the guy I ended up selling it to on Tuesday morning was actually a good guy/buyer. After the original bozo flaked on me and stood me up for the last time I posted it on Craigslist late Monday night. Had a message from a guy Tuesday morning with his phone number. I called him, he answered, said he would be here in 45mins and actually showed up almost exactly 45mins later. Looked at it for about 15 seconds, offered me $140 (I was asking $150) and deal was done. Guy was probably about 55-60 yrs old so he was probably more use to the way things use to be done like I am. So there are a few good people still out there,  just not many.

23 minutes ago, xterrabill said:

big city life now-a-days, craigslist=meet at police station.

stay safe!

After talking to someone selling something on craigslist one evening, I met him at his house immediately after. He had his door and window wide open and so did the house across the street.  Me, Bill_729??? (LOL)

28 minutes ago, xterrabill said:

big city life now-a-days, craigslist=meet at police station.

stay safe!

I typically do that or make sure I'm armed and have a friend who is as well. And I'll call someone that isn't going to be there to let them know where I'm meeting, with a screenshot of the ad and what time to expect a call when the deal is done.

the old days far up north, maybe 40 years ago, talking to my brothers old timer fishing/hunting buddy, they asked me to move his truck, I asked for keys, He said to me " the key hasn't been out of the ignition since I bought it 20 years ago".

I have no problem having people come to my house. Then again I'm 6'4" 250lbs and pretty clearly a 2nd amendment supporter. Kind'a like that line from the Denzel movie "Flight" where the lawyer asks him, you gonna shoot me or you gonna let me come inside? and Denzel replies... "yeah come on inside, I'll shoot ya inside" 😆

right on steve, almost same here and have burt gummer living next door but I still go to station for transactions, it's close by, easy for me.

:)

The last few days this one has been getting to me.  You pull up to the stop light in the right lane to do a right turn (on red).  Then some other person pulls up in the left turn or straight lane and pulls so far forward you can't see the oncoming traffic. They have to wait for the light to change no matter what, but you can't safely turn because you can't see the oncoming traffic.

BHouk, I needn't look at your profile to see where you live.  It's a Hoosier thang and not going away anytime soon, it's the same folks who DON'T know it's legal to turn right on red unless specified otherwise.  They suck in either position...which is not as good as it sounds.☺️

Have a friend who is a professor at a military collage. He calls it "Social Ineptitude" and puts the blame squarely on the parents. People are quickly looseing their social graces because we learn our social graces from TV and the internet. 

He was having a phone conversation with the Admiral of the collage when a new student walked up to his desk and said he had a question. He apologized to the Admiral for needing to put him on hold, stood up and told the student to get out. Student said "but I have a question for you Sam". He told him told him to get out if his office or get tha hell off his campus. 

We seem to have forgotten to to teach kids how to be good people. 

Michael

I was given the phone number of a fellow who moonlighted as an auto mechanic. Called several times and left messages. Never called back. The person who gave me the number said he was hard to contact. Deleted his number.