Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

So sick of inconsiderate people

I agree with everything mentioned in this thread. I still believe that most people are good, honest, and decent, but the portion of the population who are just straight-up jerks has definitely grown exponentially in recent years. I blame social media in large part. Ever since we started accepting the idea of everyone having a persona or avatar online that exists separately from the actual person, we have begun to act as though we can get away with any kind of behavior as long as it doesnt take place "IRL" (In Real Life"). Just the existence of that acronym, I think, supports what I'm saying here. Social media takes any real accountability away from social interactions. 

Had to deal with about 5 more buyers the past week (downsizing my aquarium hobby). For the most part the most recent ones were pretty good. Only had one guy that didn't show and when I messaged him he called me and apologized for forgetting and showed up the following day. So was nice to actually have a few good interactions last week.

The buyer's request to meet at a location half way is a scummy technique to get you (seller) invested in the sale, and de-risk the buyer.  It has the appearance of only a small concession, so often can get a "Yes" from the seller. You, the seller, have to spend the time to get all the way to the seller (halfway there and back), so you feel invested having already driven say 30 minutes, and the buyer saves him/herself half the time. The next step of the buyer will be to request a lower price, of course waiting until you are both at the meeting place - assuming he shows up at all. Since the seller is invested at this point, the odds of an unprepared or unknowledgeable seller agreeing are higher - after all, if the seller refuses, the seller is out the investment, and the buyer is only out half his investment. 

Now you know the tricks, you are prepared to just say, "No thank you" when the buyer requests the meeting place. If the buyer complains, you probably don't want to deal with him/her anyway.

And I detest having to deal with people playing those sorts of games.

-Peter

On 9/18/2020 at 8:01 PM, mikechell said:

Don't get used to it, Steve.  For every good person, there seems to be a million bad.

YEP and I just had one that takes the cake this morning 😡 Had a canister filter for sale on marketplace. Had a woman get a hold of me Friday saying she wanted it for her Sister and she would get a hold of me Saturday morning with a time to come. So 2pm Saturday I message her asking what is going on. She says "it's actually for her Sister that lives an hour away, can I call her Sister to see when she can pick it up?".

Okay first off, it's not my duty to track down someone to sell them something. Secondly, If the one Sister is more local than the other, then why would she want the one that is an hour away to pick it up? So long story short I call her Sister and she does not answer, but calls me back an hour later. Says she can't get down to pick it up but she'll have the other Sister pick it up 8-9am Monday. I tell her make it 9:30am because I stay up late working. So this morning after holding the filter for 3 days for her (she said she for sure wanted it) and then getting up early and waiting, I get a message "She had a family emergency, sorry for the inconvenience". Really, a family emergency, that's the best you can come up with. What's next a dog ate your homework?  I'm tellin' ya, people these days are idiots that have zero common courtesy for other people. Personally if I did something like that to someone I would feel like a total asshole about myself. But so many people these days it's something that they don't even realize is just flat out wrong to do.

Luckily I had another guy waiting the past 2 days to see if they picked it up. So I just messaged him and he was here in 10 mins and got it.

First come, first served? Wife and I had a yard sale just after we moved back to Tennessee. Like any yard sale, people got there early to have a choice of goodies. First item sold was our son's battery operated 3 wheeler. Guy didn't even haggle, just shelled out the cash and left.

"Teacher, my homework was researching alligators. My homework ate my dog!"🤣

8 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

First come, first served?

Yep that is basically my new policy. No more holding things for 1-3 days. If someone contacts me then I'll give them 2hrs max to pick up, and if not then I move to the next guy.

On 9/21/2020 at 10:50 AM, Steeldrifter said:

Yep that is basically my new policy. No more holding things for 1-3 days. If someone contacts me then I'll give them 2hrs max to pick up, and if not then I move to the next guy.

I've had that same problem on both Craigslist and Marketplace. My policy, when people ask if I'll hold the item, is to say I will if and only if they send me the full purchase price via PayPal. Once I have the money, sure, I'll hold it as long as they want. Otherwise, it's first come, first served. 

On 9/18/2020 at 7:01 PM, mikechell said:

Don't get used to it, Steve.  For every good person, there seems to be a million bad.

Ah Mike, that's because you hate all people equally. You don't play favorites.

I have fun on Craig's when I'm actually looking for something. I have got the itch to get a UTV since I sold my ATV. I love to find the 3-4 thousand dollar machines that are "Spotless, always garage stored, brand new tires, very low hours and miles" and their price is $800. I always send them an email asking when I can pick it up just to see what their response. Usually they're on a oil derrick in the ocean and brother will ship it to me, or it's at their sister's in FL, etc. A couple of years ago I answered an ad like that and actually got a response asking if it were possible to pick it up after he got off work at midnight. Can you say "No title, no bill of sale, don't want the cops or neighbors to see me load it". My guess is if you touched it you'd burn your hand.

So I'm in line at the produce store which is notoriously crowded and busy all the time. I'm third in line and there are two people behind me. The guy in front of me looks around and invites a senior from the back of the line to go before him, me and two others. Okay no problem, I think he was a jerk for bumping someone up in front of three others and himself but no harm no foul in one senior. Then he turns around and invites another senior who is probably 6 people back in line to come up front. I finally said, hey pal why don't you go to the back of the line. He doesn't invite anymore people ahead of us.

Who was the inconsiderate jerk, me or him? 

Him.  Those elders might expect generosity from THE person in front, but not from several spaces ahead.

Actually, the old people who accepted the offer were the biggest jerks.  They could easily have declined the offer.

I'm a senior and I agree with mikechell.  It is not polite or kind to favor (any) one person at the expense of several others.    I get frustrated when someone let's a car in to a traffic pattern holding up the ten or so cars behind them.  It is rude.

11 hours ago, BHouk said:

I'm a senior and I agree with mikechell.  It is not polite or kind to favor (any) one person at the expense of several others.    I get frustrated when someone let's a car in to a traffic pattern holding up the ten or so cars behind them.  It is rude.

Believe it or not, my favorite place to drive is Los Angeles. My parents lived there for about a year. When dad and I went there on business, he remarked as we left LAX, "Now you will see how people know how to drive."

1. Everyone is going the same speed.

2. The right lane is to enter or exit the freeway. You don't drive for miles in the right lane.

3. You leave several spaces between vehicles.

4. When you get on an expressway, you turn on your left signal and move left into the spaces left by other drivers. No bumper-to-bumper that I see in many places.

5. There are huge signs in the median showing the distances to the next several exits. The farther out of LA you go, the farther left you move. Time to exit, you turn on your right signal, move right then exit.

On the same token, my father and I got off I-285 and got onto I-75 north. He remarked, "One has to believe in God." Pondering this theological statement, I asked what he meant. "The way people drive, Someone has to be looking out for them."

I have driven from central Florida to central Pennsylvania, along the gulf coast to central Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and Southern California and San Francisco area. Like farm Bureau Insurance, I have seen it all.