Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

So sick of inconsiderate people

I agree with everything mentioned in this thread. I still believe that most people are good, honest, and decent, but the portion of the population who are just straight-up jerks has definitely grown exponentially in recent years. I blame social media in large part. Ever since we started accepting the idea of everyone having a persona or avatar online that exists separately from the actual person, we have begun to act as though we can get away with any kind of behavior as long as it doesnt take place "IRL" (In Real Life"). Just the existence of that acronym, I think, supports what I'm saying here. Social media takes any real accountability away from social interactions. 

Had to deal with about 5 more buyers the past week (downsizing my aquarium hobby). For the most part the most recent ones were pretty good. Only had one guy that didn't show and when I messaged him he called me and apologized for forgetting and showed up the following day. So was nice to actually have a few good interactions last week.

The buyer's request to meet at a location half way is a scummy technique to get you (seller) invested in the sale, and de-risk the buyer.  It has the appearance of only a small concession, so often can get a "Yes" from the seller. You, the seller, have to spend the time to get all the way to the seller (halfway there and back), so you feel invested having already driven say 30 minutes, and the buyer saves him/herself half the time. The next step of the buyer will be to request a lower price, of course waiting until you are both at the meeting place - assuming he shows up at all. Since the seller is invested at this point, the odds of an unprepared or unknowledgeable seller agreeing are higher - after all, if the seller refuses, the seller is out the investment, and the buyer is only out half his investment. 

Now you know the tricks, you are prepared to just say, "No thank you" when the buyer requests the meeting place. If the buyer complains, you probably don't want to deal with him/her anyway.

And I detest having to deal with people playing those sorts of games.

-Peter

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.