Fly Tying
SalarMan

CAE Fly Tying Vise

In my never ending fascination with tying vises, I am curious to see if any of you on the site have or are familiar with the CAE Vise. I'm curious...are they still made, time line for delivery and naturally I wonder what they cost.

Would love to hear whatever any of you may have to say, offer, plus insight/input/personal thoughts on the vise.

Thanks tjm...I'll take the time to go through all of this info to satisfy that insatiable curiosity of mine. It will be fun.

2 hours ago, SalarMan said:

Thanks tjm...I'll take the time to go through all of this info to satisfy that insatiable curiosity of mine. It will be fun.

A member here, Barry (bazzer69) bought one. He started a thread and reviewed it. I believe the price was $800ish plus shipping from England. He’s the guy to ask.  Search CAE and the thread will come up. 

I own a CAE vise. Charlie Evans is a fantastic guy, and it was a pleasure getting to know him during the time it took to build. Unfortunately I haven't heard from him in awhile and his site is down so I don't know about the status of his company. 

Overall the design of the vise is very attractive, I wouldn't say its a replica of a LAW vise, but looking at it you can see it's heavily influenced by Waldron. As much as I enjoy looking at the vise, to be brutally honest it didn't totally meet my very high expectations, the jaw design just doesn't have the hook holding ability my Renzetti does (however I do tend to tie with more force than some of my fellow tiers, and Renzetti is very tough to beat). I also don't find the carbon inserts added to the jaw tips to be helpful, since the micro serrations tend to scrape the hook. The answer to this would be to not clamp on the hook so tightly, but when the jaws don't hold what can you do? Therefore, I typically use my Renzetti while the CAE vise I waited over a year for sits handsomely on my bench. I'm not broken hearted over it though, I made a good friend in the process and that means more to me than the vise. 

IMG_20200922_194541_846.jpg