Fly Tying
vicrider

Never find it on my rod SWAP. ONE MORE NEEDED

Since the flies have all arrived here's my pattern for the Flutter Minn:

Hook - Aberdeen Gold Panfish (Eagle Claw) hook size 6 (can "tie" in size 8 as well - but will lead to some smaller bluegill)

Body - aluminum roof flashing (original "tied" with bottom of the old 3 part soda/beer cans OR Prince Albert Tobacco can bottoms - {insert old joke here!})

Paint - white and black for eyes and optional blue for back stripe

Tools - need flat pliers (I used needlenose) and tin snips

That's it! NO thread, NO feather/fur/hair, NO lead or beads, NO glue, head cement or adhesives and NO vice!  (Crimp the aluminum a little around the bend of the hook and the aluminum will not spin on the hook shank.)

Fish using a strike indicator and and set hook when the indicator RISES in the water column.  (BULLgills tend to study their prey and then flair their gills to inhale the "fly"- this takes the weight off the fly and causes the indicator to rise.)

This is NOT my original pattern!  If you have a nice collection of old (~1972) Outdoor Life magazines you should find a 3 page article on this fly pattern submitted by the originator.  And if anyone out there has that article I'd love to trade a few flies for a copy of it!

Kim 

PS - Thanks again bream for keeping my secret - your bevy of blonds should come with the rest of your flies!

They can be killer flies, Kim.  I have added to the pattern over the years, but they were one of the first "flies" I tied and fish with many decades ago.

I don't fish them often, as they twist the line during casting, in my experience.

soda can minnow 2016.JPG

Now you've spoiled the surprise. I have had a bad week between COPD problems and losing (than finally giving up and then finding) a complete set of flies. They are on their way and everyone should have an extra fly or two in there thanx to the donations of Stabgnid and extras. If you get back one of you own it's by accident unless you're FishingBob. You got one of your own back and you'll see why. All of yours that went out are that way. I'm going to make a small box like an Altoids box with foam and keep just these flies in these so I can keep track of them and if I do get out this fall I'll give them all a try. What was really funny is that as soon as I saw the flutter minnow I had the same flashback to the Outdoor Life mag as WW and Mike and did some of those years ago with the pop top tab on the cans back then. You know, the ones people tore off, threw in the can, then choked on.

I know mine works well on panfish but never tried for trout. If you're not a purist (if you were why are you in this swap?) and you want to have a crappie killer hang an Uncle Josh fly rod strip or trim down a small spin strip. Years ago when I spent a lot of time crappie fishing this would outfish anything I tried including minnows. Now I'll have to give it a try again myself and if it hasn't dried out I still have some Uncle Josh bottles.

7 hours ago, mikechell said:

They can be killer flies, Kim.  I have added to the pattern over the years, but they were one of the first "flies" I tied and fish with many decades ago.

I don't fish them often, as they twist the line during casting, in my experience.

soda can minnow 2016.JPG

Nice versions!  This was my first flies I ever tied as well!

And a bit more involved than a piece of rope with a gar on the end!

Kim

Breambuster, you must learn to wait until your marker dries before you stick return envelope in package. When you get yours and check return address you'll see why I had to cover your address and fix it. It was  unreadable.Don't know what you used but Magic Marker should dry faster than that.

For the rest of you the packages should start showing up soon given the general mess the PO is in right now and I'm anxious to hear what people think of these "flies". Personally, I think it's a very usable and versatile collection. I can see where the flutter minnow might cause twisting problems but I'm sure it's a winner in the water and am surprised a few of us can remember an article from the distant past and know about the creation (lure?). I don't think I'd use it a fly only section even if I crimp the barb and add a feather.

20 hours ago, vicrider said:

Breambuster, you must learn to wait until your marker dries before you stick return envelope in package. When you get yours and check return address you'll see why I had to cover your address and fix it. It was  unreadable.Don't know what you used but Magic Marker should dry faster than that.

For the rest of you the packages should start showing up soon given the general mess the PO is in right now and I'm anxious to hear what people think of these "flies". Personally, I think it's a very usable and versatile collection. I can see where the flutter minnow might cause twisting problems but I'm sure it's a winner in the water and am surprised a few of us can remember an article from the distant past and know about the creation (lure?). I don't think I'd use it a fly only section even if I crimp the barb and add a feather.

From Merriam-Webster:

fly

noun (2)
plural flies

Definition of fly (Entry 4 of 6)

1: a winged insect usually used in combinationmayfliesbutterfly
2a: any of a large order (Diptera) of winged or rarely wingless insects (such as the housefly, mosquito, or gnat) that have the anterior wings functional, the posterior wings reduced to halteres, and segmented often headless, eyeless, and legless larvae— compare MAGGOT
b: a large stout-bodied fly
3a fishhook dressed

😉

23 hours ago, vicrider said:

Ouch! Teacher Vic, that ruler across the knuckles hurt! Really, it's my wife's fault. She's the one who bought those plastic mailing envelopes. I used a Sharpie Marker to address and it seems to smear for a long time. Even the lady at the Post Office mentioned it. I promise to do better next time. Hope the flies were OK.

BB

Just received a very interesting box of flies.  I'm headed out to chase spotted bass in the morning, but will make a point to give some of these a try on the sunfish while I'm out there.

Thanks everyone!

A rogues gallery arrived in my mailbox today!  Nice ties everyone!

Oh, BTW, I AM a purist!  I tie and fish for the PURE fun of it!

Kim :) 

I am very confused.  There are several flies in this swap that I will fish, except mine 😂🤣😂

Thanks Nick for hosting and thanks to all the tyers for taking part, this swap was a lot of fun.