Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DarrellP

Coastal Cutthroat fishing

I went Coastal Cutt fishing with a friend.  We could see the fish flash at our flies.  No luck.  Changed presentation and flies often.  No luck.  Any of you guys fish for these fish?  I thought they would be easier to please!

I used streamers, WB, nymphs, colorful flies, Squirmy wormy flies, and stonefly nymphs.  Some small steelhead flies (size 6 colorful soft hackles).  No dice.  Fished high in the column, mid column, and with a sink tip polyleader.  No dice.

Any advice would be welcome.  Going back for more punishment soon.

In what seems like a different life long ago ( @ Bremerton) I used to fish for searun cutts in the salt estuaries. I used  a fly called the candlefish it was a simple silver tinsel body with sparse white and light blue polar bear wing tied with and without a peacock herl crest, my other best fly was a royal coachman streamer with sparse white polar wing. Used to be a club Rainland Fly Casters look them up for more current information. Hope this helps, you need to find what tides are best for your fishing everything changes in the salt and estuaries I think I remember the dropping tide by the river and stream outlets but that was in the mid 70's. Almost forgot egg flies and red tags both good flies, and the sea perch and occasional flounder. I hope it is still what it used to be save a cot in your cellar for me!

I don't know the fish, but there's always been two rules for me.  Fish as slow as you can stand.  Leave the fly sitting until it drives you crazy, if possible, then count to 30 before moving it.  Don't even start counting until you just can't wait any longer.

If that doesn't get a hit, or if I see the fish coming to then refusing to hit ... I speed it up as fast as I can.  I haven't fished salt water since I lived in North Carolina 30 years ago.  But one thing I do remember ... those fish were chasers.  If the lure wasn't moving fast enough, they didn't hit it.  But if you ripped it through the water, they'd come from yards away to chase it down and engulf it.  Unlike land predators that favor chasing injured or crippled prey ... salt water fish seem to prefer prey that are the healthiest and fastest.

Which ever one you're doing ... super slow or super fast, try the opposite.

For resident Cutts, I would fish the same way you would for any other Trout.

For sea-runs I use Spruce Flies, Rolled Muddlers, Reverse Spiders etc. Bridge pilings, undercut banks, shady or dark areas are good spots. If in tidewater, fish with the outgoing tide.

I wonder..

During the past infatuations with introducing non natives were cutthroats ever tried outside their normal range?  Indeed, were their ambitious restocking programs within their native range?

If not, why not? 

Rocco

Maryland occasionally stocks cutthroats in the upper Potomac.   Definitely outside their native range.

13 hours ago, Rocco said:

I wonder..

During the past infatuations with introducing non natives were cutthroats ever tried outside their normal range?  Indeed, were their ambitious restocking programs within their native range?

If not, why not? 

Rocco

Cutthroat have been stocked in many lakes here (within their range) that previously had no fish.