Fly Tying
flytire

September Flies From the Vise

On 9/12/2020 at 2:02 PM, Old Hat said:

I need to get on here more often!  You guys are killing it with all the great patterns.

Today I was giving some love to the ol' Crackleback.  Old but not forgotten.

That's a pretty fly.

On 9/12/2020 at 3:54 PM, Landon P said:

Saw this on a Gunner Brammer video and thought it would be cool. 

You were right, it is cool.

Still getting some Isonychias out here in CT.  Galloup's curved hook cripple is the foundation on this one.

18F94DEB-6264-4C32-802E-7972924A2EF9_1_201_a.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Toothy said:

Still getting some Isonychias out here in CT.  Galloup's curved hook cripple is the foundation on this one.

I'm not familiar with this, does it lay on the water sideways? Very nice looking and intriguing.

2 minutes ago, Toothy said:

18F94DEB-6264-4C32-802E-7972924A2EF9_1_201_a.jpeg

That’s a very nice fly. Do you find the curved body twists your leader much?

Regards,
Scott

Jorgensen’s Saltwater Caddis (variation)

50326997782_02ebc77855_c.jpg

50326816536_2ca5f5c01b_c.jpg

50326154018_3cef1c4c52_c.jpg

50326997352_5f2bcd2e59_c.jpg

Found this one on the Globalflyfisher site.  Tied here in a freshwater version since I can’t find where I stashed my saltwater hooks; added a wire counterrib to protect that naked ostrich herl.

hook - WFC Model 6 #6
thread - Veevus 6/0 black
rib - ostrich herl rat brown
counterrib - x-small wire silver
body - Ice Dub hare’s ear
collar/head - deer hair dyed olive

Muddler version

50326998107_a7242734be_c.jpg

50326997467_6fd0a9b1fd_c.jpg

50326998047_98e48f4d94_c.jpg

Regards,
Scott

I've been messing around with bass flies inspired by designs out of Favorite Flies and Their Histories as well as some small topwater frogs for bluegill and bass

Screenshot 2020-09-16 at 7.59.15 PM.png

Screenshot 2020-09-16 at 7.59.35 PM.png

21 hours ago, Toothy said:

Galloup's curved hook cripple is the foundation

It took me a google search and a couple minutes of thinking to the one figured out.  Very nice.  

22 hours ago, Mogup said:

Very nice Toothy !

Thank you! 

22 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

I'm not familiar with this, does it lay on the water sideways? Very nice looking and intriguing.

It rides sideways in the water presenting a single wing profile to the fish.  If you get a chance take a look at Kelly Galloup's book Cripples and Spinners, he talks about the idea behind this one cam e from his observation that most spinners and cripples float in a way that the wings are together and the fly rides on its side. 

22 hours ago, SBPatt said:

That’s a very nice fly. Do you find the curved body twists your leader much?

Regards,
Scott

Thank you Scott.  I have fished this curved profile quite a lot this year from Hexes to Tricos and I can't say I have noticed any twisting of tippet or leader.  

1 hour ago, niveker said:

It took me a google search and a couple minutes of thinking to the one figured out.  Very nice.  

I "Michiganized" this version with the deer hair body.  Kelly's are often dubbed or biot bodies.  This deer hair body for an Isonychia is really a great match though in my opinion.  

1 hour ago, Toothy said:

Thank you! 

It rides sideways in the water presenting a single wing profile to the fish.  If you get a chance take a look at Kelly Galloup's book Cripples and Spinners, he talks about the idea behind this one cam e from his observation that most spinners and cripples float in a way that the wings are together and the fly rides on its side. 

Thank you Scott.  I have fished this curved profile quite a lot this year from Hexes to Tricos and I can't say I have noticed any twisting of tippet or leader.  

I "Michiganized" this version with the deer hair body.  Kelly's are often dubbed or biot bodies.  This deer hair body for an Isonychia is really a great match though in my opinion.  

Very cool, thank you.