Fly Tying
flytire

September Flies From the Vise

21 hours ago, haziz said:

Woolly Bugger.

Is the hackle on this fly a little too extravagant/oversized?

20200909_132019.thumb.jpg.2d7d62d510801ef47b2d44eed6595c1f.jpg20200909_132056.thumb.jpg.3b16a904cf1a7495f0d7a5ab3e31ab3a.jpg20200909_131912.thumb.jpg.9d879c625b9bfcc60de7d8f24a4fdf04.jpg

When I tie Buggers I add a wire rib; the hackle gets tied in at the head, then reverse-palmered to the tail, capture the tip of the hackle with the rib, then continue forward to the head.  I had the hackle on too many un-ribbed versions of mine come undone after a fish or two.

Regards,
Scott

Kings River Caddis (baker's dozen)

Hook: Standard dry fly #14 & 16 (here TMC 100 and MSTD 94840)

Thread: Brown to size (here Uni 8/0 camel & Flymaster 6/0 tobacco)

Body: Tan, thicker at bend (here dyed beaver, nat. australian possum & nat. mink)

Downwing: Mottled turkey protected with fixative (here cinnamon tail, coated with Aileen's Flexible Stretchable)

Hackle: Brown (here barred dark ginger)

1180233445_KingsRiverCaddisBakersDozen1.thumb.jpg.3315e3e79866466edaca88c8e318bb52.jpg

1466407365_KingsRiverCaddisside.thumb.jpg.859ef3d9bd664bc01c7dbeb7216ca2aa.jpg

1495656081_KingsRiverCaddisbottom.thumb.jpg.1d699630fe54348c6d64168a715fd572.jpg

3 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Body: Tan, thicker at bend (here dyed beaver, nat. australian possum & nat. mink)

Downwing: Mottled turkey protected with fixative (here cinnamon tail, coated with Aileen's Flexible Stretchable)

Pics cut for brevity. Nice work Mr. chugbug27

Sparkle Dun. Here tied on a size 10 hook since I still struggle with spinning deer hair and with the proportions on this fly. I really hate spinning deer hair, meaning, so far, I stink at it! It does not show well on the pictures, but the deer hair "wings" on this fly are fairly asymmetrical.

I found the fly (commercially tied) to be quite productive this morning, so I had to try!

Any input or feedback is welcome.

Sparkle_Dun_3.png

Sparkle_Dun_2.png

Sparkle_Dun_1.png

4 hours ago, haziz said:

Sparkle Dun. Here tied on a size 10 hook since I still struggle with spinning deer hair and with the proportions on this fly. I really hate spinning deer hair, meaning, so far, I stink at it! It does not show on the pictures well but the deer hair "wings" on this fly are fairly asymmetrical.

I found the fly (commercially tied) to be quite productive this morning, so I had to try!

Any input or feedback is welcome.

Sparkle_Dun_3.png

Sparkle_Dun_2.png

Sparkle_Dun_1.png

Tail’s way too thick; kinda hard to tell about the wing shape.  Stacking the hair for Sparkle Dun wings takes a bit of practice. Check out Charlie Craven’s SBS. One of the best at stressing the importance of proportions.

Regards,
Scott

5 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

She’s a beaut, Clark. 👍

FlexMesh Schimps   Couple hook up with lead eyes underneath; others hook down....couple bait fish  Gonna have to see if there’s a mangle factor.

63713856-8923-4290-AAD5-1A7602968BBA.jpeg

6 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Very nice, Chug.  

2 hours ago, haziz said:

Sparkle Dun

Here's Charlie Craven again, tying a Comparadun.  Here he ties in the deer hair a little differently.    

Comparadun by Charlie Craven

Last night's ending to Bugs and Bourbon.  Size 22 parachute pseudocleons. I'll tie some more today. Like chugbug27, hopefully they'll get destroyed on Sunday

PHOTO_20200910_204018.jpg

1 hour ago, Sandan said:

Last night's ending to Bugs and Bourbon.  .... , hopefully they'll get destroyed on Sunday

Knock em out