Fly Tying
flytire

September Flies From the Vise

1 hour ago, jamieofthenorth said:

Debutante variation, size 10. Crowded the head a little on this one and some others in the batch. Any criticisms are welcome. 

20200910_200848.jpg

What did you use for the tail? Looks like golden pheasant body feather.

Regards,
Scott

1 hour ago, SBPatt said:

What did you use for the tail? Looks like golden pheasant body feather.

Regards,
Scott

Saddle hackle fibers, though golden pheasant did cross my mind. 

9 hours ago, jamieofthenorth said:

Debutante variation,

I'm no pro, definitely on the bottom third group of this site, but aside from what you mentioned, I would try to improve it by:

- decreasing the tail length

- keeping the tail fibers positioned on the top of the hook

- creating an even taper to the body 

- increasing the gauge of the rib wire (making it smaller)

- spacing the shoulder hackle more evenly 

Also, from the bit I've read of this pattern, the thorax should be darker than the body, using peacock herl or similar.   

Just MHO. 

October Caddis Muddler
50322627638_05cbc02a23_c.jpg

50323471782_77da188d9c_c.jpg

50323293766_0b307f77c3_c.jpg

A basic, simple one I found  here.  Tied the head/collar a bit fuller than the original for a little more floatation.

hook - Dai Riki 899 #8
thread - UTC 140 black
rib - small wire gold
body - tinsel gold
thorax - dubbing (loop) hot orange 
collar/head - deer hair

Regards,
Scott

Pattern/style which has proven itself.   Size 10 and 6 seem to cover things.   I have to think that it suggests a small crayfish on the waters I've fished it.  Gotta say though,  in 40 years I have never seen an orange crayfish (which was not cooked).  Orange has been working.   Absolutely no need to add the barred ginger hackle sides, but on the bigger flies I think it just looks better.  I tie flies for me to like as much as for the fish to like.    Lead eyes, fine cut silicone tail, spanflex body, craft fur wing, root beer krystal flash.  

creature1.jpg

creature2.jpg

10 hours ago, niveker said:

I'm no pro, definitely on the bottom third group of this site, but aside from what you mentioned, I would try to improve it by:

- decreasing the tail length

- keeping the tail fibers positioned on the top of the hook

- creating an even taper to the body 

- increasing the gauge of the rib wire (making it smaller)

- spacing the shoulder hackle more evenly 

Also, from the bit I've read of this pattern, the thorax should be darker than the body, using peacock herl or similar.   

Just MHO. 

Good feedback, thanks niveker! 

J... that clouser style "crawfish" in orange would very likely make a great bonefish fly for mudding bones (bonefish stir up the bottom when groups of them grub the bottom for food in just a bit deeper waters than the usual tailing depths - all you do is target the mud since you rarely see the fish stirring things up...).  That pattern would also make a great redfish fly in a bit larger size, starting with a #2 on up to about a 1/0.

Like many that I know I've long regarded the clouser as more of a tying style than a specific pattern... Here's one of a few different ones that I used to tie for local shops down here in south Florida - it's meant specifically for Peacock Bass... They're done up on a #4 hook...

8uJB2ni.jpg

I did not expect this pattern to be difficult, but to get it just right is a challenge! My next few I will focus on better separation of the colors, less bucktail for a more sparse look, more even tinsel wraps, and a smaller head. Wish me luck!fullsizeoutput_4fa.thumb.jpeg.3c90e170f3d3085d1748630f7c40ae67.jpeg

Claret Muddler

50333950647_cfab1f5c15_c.jpg

50333104483_08d459e455_c.jpg

50333950462_6f1274c4cf_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 6 #6
thread - Veevus 6/0 black
tail - deer hair dyed claret (1 Tbs Rit Wine/1 cup water)
rib - small wire gold
body - dubbing claret
body hackle - grizzly dyed claret
shoulder - deer hair dyed orange
collar/head - deer hair dyed claret

Regards,
Scott

•  

10 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

J... that clouser style "crawfish" in orange would very likely make a great bonefish fly for mudding bones (bonefish stir up the bottom when groups of them grub the bottom for food in just a bit deeper waters than the usual tailing depths - all you do is target the mud since you rarely see the fish stirring things up...).  That pattern would also make a great redfish fly in a bit larger size, starting with a #2 on up to about a 1/0.

Like many that I know I've long regarded the clouser as more of a tying style than a specific pattern... Here's one of a few different ones that I used to tie for local shops down here in south Florida - it's meant specifically for Peacock Bass... They're done up on a #4 hook...

8uJB2ni.jpg

I was thinking the same thing!